Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

SL55 AMG 5.5L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )

Electrical Gremlins Abound
By Nero

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Car has left me stranded and in need of towing 5 times now in 3 years. It has so many electrical problems that no one can figure out, the last time I took it to the dealer for the same thing and spent $3,000 with no real fix. Looks good, is very fast but too heavy to be a real sports car, it drinks gas, and is very unreliable and expensive to own. Another thumbs down for Mercedes' recent product offerings, do you research and you'll find many reports of their shoddy quality in their modern cars.

Power, Looks, Comfort, Amenities

Nav system needs improvement, electrical and electronic systems are absolutely terrible and need to be redesigned from scratch. Hire Lexus to figure out your reliability problems Mercedes.

Amazing to drive & horrific to own
By Richard Hill

I have owned over twenty Mercedes and this has been the most exciting to drive and yet the worst for reliability. The quality of the cabin components are cheap and tacky and a disgrace to the badge and the electronics are a complete nightmare. I cannot trust any of the onboard warning systems and my repair bills to try and get them sorted is like paying off the national debt. The depreciation on this vehicle has been alarming and I am so disappointed that this will probably be the last Mercedes Benz I will purchase.

Wonderful concept and design and the adrenalin burst from the performance is intoxicating.

Mercedes should go to Japan and learn about electronics and internal finish.

Never Had Better....BUT
By AL

I have had many cars but this car has to be the best all around car ever.It is the ultimate GT car,sports,coupe convertible,luxury and hot rod.I don't believe there is a car in the world that works better in a combined package.I can't wait to get my four year old 2009 SL65 at a $100,000.00 + discount. I'm pretty sure I got mine for about the cost of a new loaded mini van...

ALL OF IT

This car is fabulous but....It just doesn't run consistently.It seems like sometimes the compressor is working and sometimes it isn't.Sometimes it's a rocket ship and other times it runs like an sl500.I can't get help anywhere.Please help...anyone..Someone has to know how to fix it.

2003 Certified Used SL55
By miles of smiles

I purchased a 2003 certified Diamond Silver SL55 avoiding the $50K depreciation. What a car. Incredible looks and power, and a great sounding rumble. The car is truely amazing, yet the navigation is dated years compared to Lexus. I have no regrets in the first 2,000 miles. I have heard both positive and negative reviews for the car so I purchased the extended warranty to 100K miles. It appears to be hit or miss with some of the cars with the research I've done.

The pure launch power is very impressive as well as the exhaust notes that follow, The top drops in seconds, it is the best looking hardtop convertable on the market. I've found that people clearly know the difference between the SL500 and SL55. They always stop to ask about it.

Upgrade the navigation system to a DVD based system and move the CD changer up front.

SL55 just OK
By Phil's View SL55

I have had this car since Nov 2002, but don't drive it much. The car is fast ,but drive by wire needs work [touchy brakes and lack of trottle response at times is dangerous. I had a defective digital display which was replaced but not improved. The dealer refused to let me speak to factory rep. After a year, I finally got the dealer to compare to another SL and they finally fixed it. Stereo amp blew out and had to be replaced. Sound system is average at best. Why do you have to push a button to use the steering wheel shift controls? Command center is way too complex. Nav system is very difficult and inaccurate. A stunning car, but I prefer to drive my 1998 Corvette Convertible.

Stunning good looks. Fast and easy top up/down. Freeway acceleration is unbelievable.

The old CD based navigation system is a joke. Why not have in dash CD changer like you can get in a Honda. The drive by wire accelerator and brakes are terrible and dangerous. The stereo and Nav system are average at best. You can't even fade the sound front to back.