2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

SL55 AMG 5.5L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )
Electrical Gremlins Abound
By Nero on 02/02/10 17:37 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Car has left me stranded and in need of towing 5 times now in 3 years. It has so many electrical problems that no one can figure out, the last time I took it to the dealer for the same thing and spent $3,000 with no real fix. Looks good, is very fast but too heavy to be a real sports car, it drinks gas, and is very unreliable and expensive to own. Another thumbs down for Mercedes' recent product offerings, do you research and you'll find many reports of their shoddy quality in their modern cars.

Amazing to drive & horrific to own
By Richard Hill on 01/12/10 00:49 AM (PST)

I have owned over twenty Mercedes and this has been the most exciting to drive and yet the worst for reliability. The quality of the cabin components are cheap and tacky and a disgrace to the badge and the electronics are a complete nightmare. I cannot trust any of the onboard warning systems and my repair bills to try and get them sorted is like paying off the national debt. The depreciation on this vehicle has been alarming and I am so disappointed that this will probably be the last Mercedes Benz I will purchase.

Never Had Better....BUT
By AL on 07/20/09 16:15 PM (PDT)

I have had many cars but this car has to be the best all around car ever.It is the ultimate GT car,sports,coupe convertible,luxury and hot rod.I don't believe there is a car in the world that works better in a combined package.I can't wait to get my four year old 2009 SL65 at a $100,000.00 + discount. I'm pretty sure I got mine for about the cost of a new loaded mini van...

2003 Certified Used SL55
By miles of smiles on 02/03/07 10:43 AM (PST)

I purchased a 2003 certified Diamond Silver SL55 avoiding the $50K depreciation. What a car. Incredible looks and power, and a great sounding rumble. The car is truely amazing, yet the navigation is dated years compared to Lexus. I have no regrets in the first 2,000 miles. I have heard both positive and negative reviews for the car so I purchased the extended warranty to 100K miles. It appears to be hit or miss with some of the cars with the research I've done.

SL55 just OK
By Phil's View SL55 on 07/30/05 17:34 PM (PDT)

I have had this car since Nov 2002, but don't drive it much. The car is fast ,but drive by wire needs work [touchy brakes and lack of trottle response at times is dangerous. I had a defective digital display which was replaced but not improved. The dealer refused to let me speak to factory rep. After a year, I finally got the dealer to compare to another SL and they finally fixed it. Stereo amp blew out and had to be replaced. Sound system is average at best. Why do you have to push a button to use the steering wheel shift controls? Command center is way too complex. Nav system is very difficult and inaccurate. A stunning car, but I prefer to drive my 1998 Corvette Convertible.

Fast but Unreliable
By Bummed Out on 07/07/05 13:19 PM (PDT)

Yes, fast, beautiful and fun to drive but that's where it ends. The car has been back to the dealer three times in 7000 miles for mostly electronic related problems, twice on a flat bed. The latest is a bad alternator causing the computer to flash a red stop sign at me with an alarm blaring and a warning that the brakes were about to fail. Have to wait a week for the part because not one is available in the US. The navigation system is useless and the sound system inferior to say that of a Lexus 340SC. Scared to drive this thing any distance now and looking to trade her in sadly.

Whiplash
By kgb on 05/05/05 11:37 AM (PDT)

Fastest car I've ever had the pleasure to drive. The "Car" is well built, but don't trust Germans with electronics, that's best left the the Japanese.

AMG 2003 SL55
By Bill Dritz on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

An absolute riot to drive, but with all of the solidness we have all come to know in every Mercedes Benz car.

Its true, its true
By buckspine on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

The most exciting aspect of this car is the sound. Most sports cars are smooth and kittenlike with a turbo whine. This dog barks, like something out of a gutter. And the best thing is that is approximately 500 horsepower and a convertible.

WOW!
By skyking4hire on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I've had it for a month and have never owned a car that got so much attention, and to my surprise it is well deserved. I have never enjoyed driving this much, and the power is awesome-and I race cars competitively. . .