2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
It's all about appearances.
By berwanger1 on 04/20/09 18:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is the most beautiful car I have owned...really turns heads. Interior would score equally high but for the use of too much hard, cheap plastic. Handling and power are just okay, hampered by the excessive weight of the car. Problem is, such a striking exterior design and the high price raise expectations of super performance and quality materials. Not the case. Leather is cracking and discoloring. Paint seems thin; chips easily Also, lots of noise coming from under the car, like gears whining, bearings grinding, yet everything is okay. Noise level is unacceptable in car of this rank. Dealer service has been great, but parts are ridiculously expensive. Not a great drive.

Red
By TommyA931 on 09/12/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 7th red SL in 25 years, so I'm pretty well pre-sold. I really loved my '97 SL500, but the 2003 is really a joy, and no more messing with the tops. On a 50+ mile trip at 65MPH it clocks better than 24MPG, goes to 15-17MPG when "romping" on it, but hey, that's why we buy red sports cars, isn't it? The CD-based NAVI stinks compared to my 2007 ML AMG, but you can't get lost in an SL anyway. As always, gets lots of eyeball, and is fun to drive! I've also owned Porches and Jags, but like the SL best. Worth every penny!

Great Car Lotsa Fun
By IvanUSA on 04/25/08 20:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a an exeptional vehicle, hardtop convertible roadster. This is my second one with AMG package on it just not supercharged. I highly recomend this car to every one

Stay away!
By earbon on 03/30/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

As a starter the value of that car is dropping like a rock in a lake with no bottom. The real trade in value is between $25000.00 and $31000.00 at best. I was lucky to buy it with a POC on it otherwise I would have left my wallet at the dealer. Lots of squeaking and annoying noise coming from the chassis. Lots of problem with the electronic, seat wont recline and suddenly they do, the lighting. The air ride suspension is nice but unreliable and can collapse at any time. They had to replace the whole rear end at 48000 miles. Please stay away from Mercedes benz and leave MB where they deserve to be, in bankruptcy.

Excellent Car!
By Loan Lady on 12/23/07 04:17 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I drove the Lexus convertable and fell in lust. But not until I drove the 2003 MB 500 SL that I fell in love! Great steering radius and serious power and performance. MB is back!

My Retirement Gift
By Ray's Dream Car on 09/20/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I could not be happier with the purchase of my 2003 500SL. Its performance, luxury appointments, and over all wow factor is amazing. I never thought that a retired school teacher would be fortunate enough to own a car of this quality.

None better!
By OVERTHETOP on 07/08/07 10:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned 4 MB's, a Porsche, and numerous other European vehicles. I've driven them all for pleasure. None for day to day. I've never had a MB that dissappointed me..including my SL500. My Porsche 996 was in the shop every other week..literally, for "check engine lights. It never was resolved. Save your money and buy this car. I'm over 6'6", and wide, and am comfortable. Interior design is remarkable. The car is in the shop for scheduled maintenance only. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever had a major problem with any MB. It's fast, sleek, handles on a rail, looks fabulous, runs magnificently. I don't know what else I could ask for. I'm just glad that I bought this car.

SL500 is a dog
By sally on 02/01/07 19:00 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

3 years and 20K miles of nothing but trouble. brakes and battery/electrical problems constantly. Been towed in 4X. Gave up on it so it now looks great sitting in the garage!

This Car is incredible
By bigmirsh on 05/03/05 03:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Imagine a car that has everything one could ask for. This car was built for someone who wants a daily driver that is fun as hell and fits like a glove. Driving this car is like eating the perfect meal.

Awesome
By Kimberly0007 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome car! i wouldnt change a thing!