2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Supercar for Corolla Money!!
By yellowabarth on 01/24/13 06:12 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Just purchased my 5th SL and might be the best. Full option 2002 model with 152000 kms and appears tight as a drum. The FSH and one lady owner might help, plus she never lowered the roof during ownership!! Love the Radar Cruise and cooled seats here in Dubai, had 2 Sl55's 02 and 04, but felt they always wanted to blast down the road and noisy. Loved them but never in love with them. I think for just short of £7000, there is nothing better to play in the Sun.... Everything works, except the Pulse seats (common fault ) will see what the dealer estimates next week, but was not a deal breaker. You need to have it inspected, especially the hydraulic susphension before you buy as I did.

Mercedes dropped the ball
By roosterly9 on 04/24/12 05:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Silver arrow after I read very positive reviews here. It had 98000 miles on it, Everything you read here about the car being fun, powerfull, great looking is correct, but Man as fa as body goes no engineering work has been done. the plastic handle on emergency break broke, the button, and the handle on console brok, the button on storage net broke, just about everything you touch has broken, or breaks first time I touch, the signal light lense just fell off, MB insignia broke lose, the jak hole cover just fell off, and the insignificant piece is $211 only available at dealer. Car vibrates at speed over 60, tires are new and balanced, known issue. I do not recommend buying.

Excellent & Fun
By Charles on 08/30/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned numerous convertibles. This one is no sports car but is a superb touring open car. It is fast, fun, comfortable, and a joy to ride in the hill country of Texas. It is not great on snow or ice. Mine is a silver Arrow and is exceptional. It weighs as much as my Suburban but is a lot more fun to drive. If you can find one get it and enjoy the ride

"Silver Arrow", as good as it gets
By Bobby Leamon on 12/21/06 16:09 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2002 "Silver Arrow" with only 16,500 miles on it and I am absolutely delighted! The car is all I could ever hope for and has the feeling that only a well built ,heavy roadster can provide to it's driver. I drove several SL's before deciding on the "Silver Arrow" and although all of them were excellent,the "Arrow" just plainly had them all beat in the looks department. The interior appointments and special features made me appreciate all the more, the quality of such a wonderful vehicle.A nyone wishing to purchase a quality SL would do well to look into the "Silver Arrow" version, I know they will not be disappointed, I certainly wasn't !

Best SL I Have Ever Owned
By Bob Collins on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third SL roadster and is absolutely the finest. It is a 2002 SL500 Special Limited Edition "Silver Arrow" with special silver ultra-metalic paint,special six spoke 18-inch alloy wheels and an interior with two-tone silver and black NAPA leather with black bird's eye maple wood trim. With this interior you know you are sitting in the most exquisite roadster in the world. Best of all the SL performance is flawless. When this car is delivered to you it is perfection. The 5.0-liter V8 is smooth and powerful. I had the opportunity to order a 2003 SL500 instead of buying my 2002, but I still love my Silver Arrow.

200 SL500 Silver Arrow - last handbuilt
By rsab on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this car for almost one year and with 5K miles, not a single problem. From what I understand this is one of the last mostly hand-assembled models of it's class. I like the new 2003 style, but my 2002 Silver Arrow is a classic car and I love it.

Timeless Classic...
By Dom1 on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My Mercedes is a 1992 500SL with the 326bhp 32v DOHC V8! This is the most powerful "Non induction" V8 Mercedes has ever made.....and that includes the new model! My Car is faultless, it has nearly every extra available at that time fitted on the car and every single button, light, switch, leaver works perfectly! The build quality of these earlier cars were at their best. As often said over engineered! The car has covered 92,000 miles and drives like new. Unlike the later cars there is no scuttle shake and no creaks from the amazingly well made interior. To finish off, the vehicle has big fat 18 inch AMG wheels. It looks the biz...

Covertible Perfection
By SL Driven on 03/07/02 22:03 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is the best and last of the "true" Mercedes Benz. Next model will have "Daimler-Chrysler" on the mfgr's plate. This car's got all the speed you would want, and with the sport pkg, it's handling limits are high enough to go play on mountain roads. Add a sweet sound system and armour like but comfy seats, and you've got the best two seat transportation available.