2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Classic open road cruiser!
By stefano on 12/25/09 13:00 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This SL500 wasn't my first choice. I went to a dealer to look at a 2002 Porsche Carrera convertible but it had just been sold. The sales guy asked me if I'd like to look at a low mileage SL500. I'm glad I did. The triple black AMG SL500 had only 8K on the clock and looked new. Then I drove it. It's a classic cruiser, not a sports car but who cares! It's fast, beautiful and a blast to drive with the top down.

The SL experience
By Ron Boatright on 03/11/06 11:23 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have a beautiful '85 SL and an '04 E series for my wife and this 500 is the bomb. You feel special driving this car and it is the classic MB roadster experience. The handling is very responsive considering the weight of the car. The 18" rubber helps. The performance is all you ever need (I'm willing to give up a little hair raising bullet speed for more creature comforts at my age). The torque is story here and just keeps coming. Very smooth and responsive. The cabin is very comfortable and at speed with the hard top on, you're hard pressed to remember you're not in a fixed top coupe. The trunk is ample and will hold a set of golf club or several shopping bags

Timeless Roadster, Fun for Everyday
By Al_hiFi on 03/05/06 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This roadster is making presence on the road, parking lot or garage. Puts a smile on owners face every time is driven. Abundant performance, whisper quiet with the top down. It feels very safe to be in on the road even when surrounded by SUV's. Hardtop feature is extremely usefull when cold and it improves body flex. Sport package must to have since it makes this car to stand out of the crowd and it helps to keep the resale value. Reliability is far better than new R230. Everything in this car is overbuild for quality, but you pay the price in extra weight and extra $$. Great highway cruiser.

Life is boring without a Mercedes benz!
By LIBWAMB3 on 12/07/05 17:08 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Just picked the car up last week. My second MB. First was a 2000 CLK 320 Cab. Loved that one. This one is an absolute monster! Perfect blend of sport and luxury! The car has unbelievable road manners. Will give you more than enough power to pass just about anything on the road while still giving me that classic MB experience. Much better suited to my driving habits compared to my CLK. I hope this thing lasts a very long time...I'm expecting it to.