2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Classic open road cruiser!
By stefano on 12/25/09 13:00 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This SL500 wasn't my first choice. I went to a dealer to look at a 2002 Porsche Carrera convertible but it had just been sold. The sales guy asked me if I'd like to look at a low mileage SL500. I'm glad I did. The triple black AMG SL500 had only 8K on the clock and looked new. Then I drove it. It's a classic cruiser, not a sports car but who cares! It's fast, beautiful and a blast to drive with the top down.

Best all around driving automobile!
By Tyman on 01/28/09 16:02 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2001 SL500 from a dealership in Calfornia two weeks ago and drove it to Idaho. This Mercedes is the best all around automobile that I have ever had the pleasure of driving. The handling was fantantic, the performance is unbelievible, especially at top end. My other two super performance cars are a 03 & a 06 Z06 Corvettes which are dream cars, but the Mercedes is just the total package. An all around great driving car. You just feel great driving in it. My Mercedes is Red with Black leather interior. It has 44,000 miles on it. An engineering marvel!

Exceptional SL600 (R129 series)
By F1 Strategies on 10/12/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

Exceptional 2001 SL600; purchased pre-owned from a dealer who'd gotten from the orignal owner. Totally stock,black, V12, 275/35 18s in back, 245/40 18s front, only 11,000 miles! Guess it just wasn't cool anymore for the country-club. Built like classic Benz cars were in-the-day. Heavy - more of a GT than a sports car; wonderful to cruise on the highway at any speed. V12 engine with 48-valves is a symphony. 5-speed automatic. Torque like locomotive. Low-down, brooding-and-mean looking, but a total gentleman. Leather everywhere. Wonderful, can border on scary-fast acceleration, but totally controlled Well cared-for examples are known to be reliable if maintained.

The SL experience
By Ron Boatright on 03/11/06 11:23 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have a beautiful '85 SL and an '04 E series for my wife and this 500 is the bomb. You feel special driving this car and it is the classic MB roadster experience. The handling is very responsive considering the weight of the car. The 18" rubber helps. The performance is all you ever need (I'm willing to give up a little hair raising bullet speed for more creature comforts at my age). The torque is story here and just keeps coming. Very smooth and responsive. The cabin is very comfortable and at speed with the hard top on, you're hard pressed to remember you're not in a fixed top coupe. The trunk is ample and will hold a set of golf club or several shopping bags

Timeless Roadster, Fun for Everyday
By Al_hiFi on 03/05/06 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This roadster is making presence on the road, parking lot or garage. Puts a smile on owners face every time is driven. Abundant performance, whisper quiet with the top down. It feels very safe to be in on the road even when surrounded by SUV's. Hardtop feature is extremely usefull when cold and it improves body flex. Sport package must to have since it makes this car to stand out of the crowd and it helps to keep the resale value. Reliability is far better than new R230. Everything in this car is overbuild for quality, but you pay the price in extra weight and extra $$. Great highway cruiser.

Life is boring without a Mercedes benz!
By LIBWAMB3 on 12/07/05 17:08 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Just picked the car up last week. My second MB. First was a 2000 CLK 320 Cab. Loved that one. This one is an absolute monster! Perfect blend of sport and luxury! The car has unbelievable road manners. Will give you more than enough power to pass just about anything on the road while still giving me that classic MB experience. Much better suited to my driving habits compared to my CLK. I hope this thing lasts a very long time...I'm expecting it to.