Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Classic Roadster
By tallyho3

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I bought the SL 500 with 32K miles.The car has lots of sex appeal.It is fun to drive and the handling is amazing.I bought the car on E-Bay.The seller under promised and over delivered.The car is all original and the owner had all up to date records.The car draws a lot of smiles of approval.I can see the car as a true classic and the resale potential for price appreciation is definitely there.On a scale of 1-10 it's a 91/2.Drive one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Favorite Features

The choice of soft power top or removable hard top.The seats and leather interior are very well laid out.The sound system is Bose acoustimass.The finish on the original white exterior paint is gorgeous.The styling is unique and the ac is ice cold.

Suggested Improvements

Keep it all original,hard to make this baby any more fun to own or drive at any speed.

Spoiled Rotten
By Spoiled Rotten!

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I saw it sitting in the dealership waiting for me to buy it! I did!! Best deal and amazing car to drive. It's response is great, well brakes could use some help. It's made up with the intant brake lock when it picks up you want brake NOW. Love It!! Everything will recommend it and I'm planning to upgrade soon to the new version.

Favorite Features

Love it's sporty look, OMG it's gas mileage sort of stinks but I drove it from napa to Bakersfield and still surprisingly had half a tank. It's a jewel.

Suggested Improvements

Maintance charges are excessively priced. Yet I get pampered when I take my baby for it's routine check ups.

Better MPG than you think
By Robert Robinson

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I fell in love with my first SL as a twelve year old, when I saw the most beautiful champagne 450SL in a showroom for seventeen thousand dollars. As midlife approached I was able to afford a used 1999 SL500. I have driven over 50,000 trouble free miles and have consistently averaged over 20 miles per gallon. I believe the 129 model(90-01) is the least expensive to own from the perspective of a Mercedes-Benz mechanic.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and Residual Heating(REST) after shutting off the engine.

A Great Roadster
By skybound

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I have owned this car for for about a 1.5 yrs now. The only problem I had with it was a speaker in the door going out and I had to replace the hood pad that was falling apart. Other than that nothing at all. I bought it with 78K in great condition. A very fun and great looking car, lots of power and with the windscreen up you can hardly tell the top is down. The only negatives are the rear window creasing and the poor lighting of the non-xenon headlights, other than that this car is a dream to drive. I am very happy with the SL500, like poetry in motion, enjoy the drive, this is a one in a million automobile for the discriminating owner. With the prices of a used SL it is a real bargain.

Favorite Features

The windscreen, Bose audio system, great interior quality, climate control system. Handling is superb and the ESP system works great as well.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon headlights are a definite plus. The rear plastic window is not very durable, I know this is an old model now, but if you find one with a new or good condition top/rear window take good care of it. As for improvements to this model, it is a little late to mention now.

1999 sl 500
By dissatisfied

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

Although a fun car to drive, the quality and workmanship leaves a lot to desired. Surprisingly good gas mileage for this car. The chassis bolts had to be retightened after 45K miles. the knobs on the vents broke off. the plastic cover around the sun visors have broken and oil leaks from this area???? Trunk must be opened with key 75% of the time because the button in the car and on the key doesn't work. speed control lever fell off. Driver door arm rest disfigured just by resting arm on it. Part of grille fell off (not caused by accident). Replaced water pump at 55K miles. glove box opening mechanism broke. Didn't have as many problems with my old Ford Pinto.

Favorite Features

Acceleration excellent. Great to drive with the top down. Gas mileage 19-20 local, 25-28 highway (great). Great looks as all SL500's are. Manuverability very good.

Suggested Improvements

Use better materials. This is a very expensive car for the low quality of its parts. Fix the passenger side door so the driver doesn't have to open his door or push the button to release the lock so the passenger can exit.