1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
SL500 SL1 & Panoramic Roof
By Barry on 09/16/09 22:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

I had driven a 1984 380SL for a while in 1987 and fell in love! Fast forward twenty years, and I decided to go with the R129, and 1998 was the last year for the twin cam 48 valve engine, so I looked for the Sport model with a Panoramic roof. Love the car! Very glad I went this route. The hard top still feels more "open" being mostly glass, so winter is less of a drag. I just feel good driving it, anywhere, anytime. I've had a number of nice cars, but the SL is extraordinary in so many ways that I believe I will always want one. My wife and I take trips with our 45 pound Golden Retriever and even she loves it! Service is costly, but not frequent, so I highly recommend this fantastic machine!!!

Great value - near prefect sports car
By AWR on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

I was driving an E420 and felt it a bit lacking in, well, fun! My search included Porsches and Vettes but I decided on an SL class. New body style hit the market and these started to fall within reach of a whole new buyer's market. I sugest buying on condition rather than mileage. High miles just means you'll pay less not that you'll get less car. Repairs can be costly as with any high-end automobile. Hardtop starage is a problem for those with limited space i.e. apartment/condo dwellers. In Chicago, its off by tax day and on by halloween so you'll be storing it half the year. AMG Sorts package is the best value.

Great Car
By roach on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

It has been fun for me to own this car for the last two years. Drives like a dream. Highly recommended

1998 Mercedes 500 SL sport w SL1/SL2 opt
By YOONSEOK on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

This is a one of the top model for Mercedes 50yrs of SL making. With no doubt it has a impressive handling and sticks to the road. well balanced and super responsive. cornering with 18inch optional AMG wheels are crisp, and breaking is tight ( feels more like a Japanese car in breaking yet has engine roars like Italian Farrari. love the sound of Exhaust) beautifully stream lined and Optional HID is great. Planty of Torque at low RPM with total 350lb with 315 hp.

red sl500 sport
By bobsl500 on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

This is an awesome car

The Perfect Roadster
By BestBenz on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

Bye far one of the best cars Ive ever owned. If you are fortunate enough to own one of these cars you will never want another car again.