Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

My SL500 is my baby!
By jmarichard@yahoo.com

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

I have owned this car since 2001 and I can say that it is still a thrill to drive every time I get behind the wheel.
This car has been super reliable and almost maintenance free. Just regular care as you would do with any car, and no major repairs.
She has a little over 80K miles on her now, and still runs like new.
I also own an '06 C55 AMG as my daily driver. Very fast and stiff ride. Also enjoyable, but I would take the SL500 any day, if I had to choose just one.

I love how this site has 100% 5 star ratings from owners of this car. I totally understand it too.
Cheers!

I finally bought my dream car.
By tripp1976

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

Words can't express the thrill I get every time I get into this car.
I'm just 32 and I've loved the r129 SL500 since I first saw it as a kid.
I looked all over the US and about booked a flight to Texas to buy a car when a buddy of mine called to let me know his dad just bought a low mileage car for his lot.
I drove down to his lot and saw my 98 Mercedes SL500 sitting there with only 46,000 on the clock.
I test drove it then went to lunch came back and paid for it.
We have put 7,000 miles on it in just two months.
I love the feel, touch and power of this amazing cruiser.
I even don't mind the fuel costs I'm getting about 17city and our trip to Florida we were able to get 25.4.

Change the rims out...

You should own a V12 once in your life!
By BillC

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL600 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

Just bought this beautiful SL600 Sport, all black. With only 52k miles it drives like a new car! After considerable research, I went with the 48 valve V 12 because the newer bi- turbo versions are much less reliable and have far more plastic. If you drive one, you will fall in love with it. Driving reasonably I am getting 17 mpg with 70% around town, 30% highway, what a nice surprise for a 400 hp V-12. These cars had 1 man who built each engine and the smooth delivery of power has to be felt to be believed. I know they are expensive to repair, the drive is worth it though. Awesome stereo with Sirius radio (highly recommended). Just driving the car feels special.~$125k when new. A bargain now!

The V 12 engine, excellent transmission, beautiful wood interior, awesome sound system. Cool and safe pop up roll bar. Ultra solid feel at all speeds. So nimble for a 4600 pound car (it's true). Looks great as a hardtop and convertible.

None really.

not to be missed
By Syl Stys

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

I owned a 1956 190SL while stationed in Germany when I was a much younger man and always wanted another one. Well I couldn't afford that '56 now but the modern engineering, comfort and style of my "new" SL make up for it. Sitting in this one I can see and feel the DNA connection to that beautiful '56. You will not regret owning and driving this masterpiece. Shop wisely, do your homework, then enjoy. Very affordable.

Convertible top opens or closes in about 30 seconds. German stereo matched to vehicles acoustics (great sound even with top down!). Body styling and build quality. Parts and quality service availability.

Front lower panel will scrape parking bumpers and normal height curbing. Otherwise NONE.

LUV this car
By Jimbo

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

Bought car 2 years ago with 13,000 miles on odometer. May have paid too much from dealer but what a great car! Knowing repair cost can be expensive I opted for extended warranty-waste of money so far. Great power, smooth ride, classic design, handles well. Probably be buried in this auto.

Power, ride, cool convertible top operation.

Fabric on lower inside panel easy to hit with foot-hence shoemarks. More sturdy speaker cover would be improvement. Otherwise, Don't know any.