Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

I finally bought my dream car.
By tripp1976

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

Words can't express the thrill I get every time I get into this car. I'm just 32 and I've loved the r129 SL500 since I first saw it as a kid. I looked all over the US and about booked a flight to Texas to buy a car when a buddy of mine called to let me know his dad just bought a low mileage car for his lot. I drove down to his lot and saw my 98 Mercedes SL500 sitting there with only 46,000 on the clock. I test drove it then went to lunch came back and paid for it. We have put 7,000 miles on it in just two months. I love the feel, touch and power of this amazing cruiser. I even don't mind the fuel costs I'm getting about 17city and our trip to Florida we were able to get 25.4.

Change the rims out...

not to be missed
By Syl Stys

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I owned a 1956 190SL while stationed in Germany when I was a much younger man and always wanted another one. Well I couldn't afford that '56 now but the modern engineering, comfort and style of my "new" SL make up for it. Sitting in this one I can see and feel the DNA connection to that beautiful '56. You will not regret owning and driving this masterpiece. Shop wisely, do your homework, then enjoy. Very affordable.

Convertible top opens or closes in about 30 seconds. German stereo matched to vehicles acoustics (great sound even with top down!). Body styling and build quality. Parts and quality service availability.

Front lower panel will scrape parking bumpers and normal height curbing. Otherwise NONE.

LUV this car
By Jimbo

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

Bought car 2 years ago with 13,000 miles on odometer. May have paid too much from dealer but what a great car! Knowing repair cost can be expensive I opted for extended warranty-waste of money so far. Great power, smooth ride, classic design, handles well. Probably be buried in this auto.

Power, ride, cool convertible top operation.

Fabric on lower inside panel easy to hit with foot-hence shoemarks. More sturdy speaker cover would be improvement. Otherwise, Don't know any.

Nothing Else Compares, Nothing
By John-Rodger

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I am the original owner of this car, my last SL I kept for 16 yrs; I plan to keep this car, hell I plan to be buried in this car. It is a head turner, a turn taker, nothing is safer. After 10 years I still think 'wow' every time I climb in and crank it up. I don't even look at other cars on the road, and I have owned them all. PS In ten years, aside from regular service the car has been 'in the shop' ONCE

style, speed, handling

nothing

Finally, a happy wife.
By B & L

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I have purchased MANY cars for my wife in hopes that she would be happy with what she is driving. After 17 years, I finally found one that she refuses to even look at another kind of car. This is fun in the sun, and glamor all year round. This last year there was 18" of snow, once we got the car out of the drive, I was passing 4X4's and cruising down the road without issues. We get about 18mpg in town and 23mpg highway. Virtually no road noise with hardtop on who cares how much noise with the top down. Every time my wife gets in it, she tells me how much she loves her little car. Thank you MB

Lots of power, good mpg for the HP. Sticks to the road in rain, snow, or sun. So many safety features, while being so stylish.

The front skirt rubs every stinking curb, and when we back up, the cover for the tie down pops off. Embarrassing for such a classy car. Some of the interior parts are of a lower class plastic than a datsun. These are small things in the overall picture though.