Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 SL1 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

SL500 SL1 & Panoramic Roof
By Barry

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

I had driven a 1984 380SL for a while in 1987 and fell in love! Fast forward twenty years, and I decided to go with the R129, and 1998 was the last year for the twin cam 48 valve engine, so I looked for the Sport model with a Panoramic roof. Love the car! Very glad I went this route. The hard top still feels more "open" being mostly glass, so winter is less of a drag. I just feel good driving it, anywhere, anytime. I've had a number of nice cars, but the SL is extraordinary in so many ways that I believe I will always want one. My wife and I take trips with our 45 pound Golden Retriever and even she loves it! Service is costly, but not frequent, so I highly recommend this fantastic machine!!!

Favorite Features

Smooth, powerful engine and great handling while maintaining a good ride quality. German cars just feel better to me. The drop top is wonderful, as is the Pano roof. The Sport model is worthwhile, but not mandatory. Where else can you get a $90K car for under $20K with low miles and service records?

Suggested Improvements

Some switches and incidentals are a little suspect, but so much is right about the car that my complaints are forgotten once we are on the road. I would have loved the V-12, but my local dealer's service manager warned me that it is quite a bit more to maintain, so I decided the V-8 was best for me.

Great value - near prefect sports car
By AWR

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

I was driving an E420 and felt it a bit lacking in, well, fun! My search included Porsches and Vettes but I decided on an SL class. New body style hit the market and these started to fall within reach of a whole new buyer's market. I sugest buying on condition rather than mileage. High miles just means you'll pay less not that you'll get less car. Repairs can be costly as with any high-end automobile. Hardtop starage is a problem for those with limited space i.e. apartment/condo dwellers. In Chicago, its off by tax day and on by halloween so you'll be storing it half the year. AMG Sorts package is the best value.

Favorite Features

Droptop, well controlled accessible power. Top end that (when chipped) exceeds 170mph Had mine up to 150 (on closed track)when it kicked into 5th. It quickly went to 155 and stayed there due to limitations of stock chip. Don't you just love fresh blacktopped straightaways.

Suggested Improvements

A few items seem cheaply made in the interior. Plastics fail. Especially the clip tabs on lights and access panels. power but the speakers could use an upgrade from stock. Using glass instead of plactic in the soft top would be nice. The rest of the car is

Great Car
By roach

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

It has been fun for me to own this car for the last two years. Drives like a dream. Highly recommended

Favorite Features

Automatic top is awesome. Handling is great, it hugs the road effortlessly.

Suggested Improvements

The radio knobs tend to be loose and are difficult to fix short of replacing the entire radio.

1998 Mercedes 500 SL sport w SL1/SL2 opt
By YOONSEOK

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

This is a one of the top model for Mercedes 50yrs of SL making. With no doubt it has a impressive handling and sticks to the road. well balanced and super responsive. cornering with 18inch optional AMG wheels are crisp, and breaking is tight ( feels more like a Japanese car in breaking yet has engine roars like Italian Farrari. love the sound of Exhaust) beautifully stream lined and Optional HID is great. Planty of Torque at low RPM with total 350lb with 315 hp.

Favorite Features

Great performance. responsive engine and Road hugging, well balanced body. excellent value. GET AMG sport models.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic inside ( esp door panal is not strong enough to withstand the high temp : SUN light. needs hight quality.) front AMG bumper is too low and hits and gets demaged when going over high angle pavement.expensive to replace. ageed cluster panel. FUEL economy.

red sl500 sport