1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
I finally bought my dream car.
By tripp1976 on 06/20/13 23:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

Words can't express the thrill I get every time I get into this car. I'm just 32 and I've loved the r129 SL500 since I first saw it as a kid. I looked all over the US and about booked a flight to Texas to buy a car when a buddy of mine called to let me know his dad just bought a low mileage car for his lot. I drove down to his lot and saw my 98 Mercedes SL500 sitting there with only 46,000 on the clock. I test drove it then went to lunch came back and paid for it. We have put 7,000 miles on it in just two months. I love the feel, touch and power of this amazing cruiser. I even don't mind the fuel costs I'm getting about 17city and our trip to Florida we were able to get 25.4.

You should own a V12 once in your life!
By BillC on 08/03/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

Just bought this beautiful SL600 Sport, all black. With only 52k miles it drives like a new car! After considerable research, I went with the 48 valve V 12 because the newer bi- turbo versions are much less reliable and have far more plastic. If you drive one, you will fall in love with it. Driving reasonably I am getting 17 mpg with 70% around town, 30% highway, what a nice surprise for a 400 hp V-12. These cars had 1 man who built each engine and the smooth delivery of power has to be felt to be believed. I know they are expensive to repair, the drive is worth it though. Awesome stereo with Sirius radio (highly recommended). Just driving the car feels special.~$125k when new. A bargain now!

not to be missed
By Syl Stys on 03/24/10 06:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I owned a 1956 190SL while stationed in Germany when I was a much younger man and always wanted another one. Well I couldn't afford that '56 now but the modern engineering, comfort and style of my "new" SL make up for it. Sitting in this one I can see and feel the DNA connection to that beautiful '56. You will not regret owning and driving this masterpiece. Shop wisely, do your homework, then enjoy. Very affordable.

LUV this car
By Jimbo on 11/03/09 14:45 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

Bought car 2 years ago with 13,000 miles on odometer. May have paid too much from dealer but what a great car! Knowing repair cost can be expensive I opted for extended warranty-waste of money so far. Great power, smooth ride, classic design, handles well. Probably be buried in this auto.

SL500 SL1 & Panoramic Roof
By Barry on 09/16/09 22:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

I had driven a 1984 380SL for a while in 1987 and fell in love! Fast forward twenty years, and I decided to go with the R129, and 1998 was the last year for the twin cam 48 valve engine, so I looked for the Sport model with a Panoramic roof. Love the car! Very glad I went this route. The hard top still feels more "open" being mostly glass, so winter is less of a drag. I just feel good driving it, anywhere, anytime. I've had a number of nice cars, but the SL is extraordinary in so many ways that I believe I will always want one. My wife and I take trips with our 45 pound Golden Retriever and even she loves it! Service is costly, but not frequent, so I highly recommend this fantastic machine!!!

Nothing Else Compares, Nothing
By John-Rodger on 09/04/09 11:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I am the original owner of this car, my last SL I kept for 16 yrs; I plan to keep this car, hell I plan to be buried in this car. It is a head turner, a turn taker, nothing is safer. After 10 years I still think 'wow' every time I climb in and crank it up. I don't even look at other cars on the road, and I have owned them all. PS In ten years, aside from regular service the car has been 'in the shop' ONCE

Finally, a happy wife.
By B & L on 07/28/09 16:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I have purchased MANY cars for my wife in hopes that she would be happy with what she is driving. After 17 years, I finally found one that she refuses to even look at another kind of car. This is fun in the sun, and glamor all year round. This last year there was 18" of snow, once we got the car out of the drive, I was passing 4X4's and cruising down the road without issues. We get about 18mpg in town and 23mpg highway. Virtually no road noise with hardtop on who cares how much noise with the top down. Every time my wife gets in it, she tells me how much she loves her little car. Thank you MB

Awesome
By Jaquie on 03/03/09 19:22 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

I'm a girl, but have always been a car nut. My first car was a little used Mazda RX7 which I really enjoyed, but was convinced to sell by my granny who thought I would kill myself in it - haha. Since then I've owned about thirty or so cars, most of the time buying used, driving, then reselling. Among these, have been several BMWs (3,5 & 7 series), an '87 911, an '85 380SL, a 91 Jaguar XJS, Mustangs (old and new bodies), etc.; and I can honestly say that my SL500 is a KEEPER. I love the way it handles, looks, and its reliability. I've even learned to slow down in it (a little). Definitely recommend!

Great Vaule and Superior Performance
By jayssl500 on 05/23/08 15:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

With 130,000 miles my black beauty is making people look. A road trip out West delivered top performance and comfort. Wished they had an auto tilt on the steering column instead pushing the button . Maintenance has always been a priority and the pre-owned warranty was well worth it. Alternator gave out at 120K, air condition replace at 60K, Headers replaced at 60K along with seat trim. All under warranty saving me over $4k. Do go without it. I firmly believe in the Starmark brand and only buy pre-owned. Front cow under bumper as well as inside wheel well covers go if you hit a parking bumper (too low) Need to re-paint and detail the interior to bring it back to A shape. Go get one now!

MB's Finest!
By MThompson on 12/04/07 08:57 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible

This is the first Mercedes I have owned and I do not believe I will ever own another type of vehicle. Both interior and exterior design are excellent and the overall quality is exceptional. The handling and reliability far exceed any expectations. This is a true driver's car! Definitely worth the price! This car is rock solid - built like a tank but handles like a sports car - feels very safe. The mechanics of the soft- top and ease with getting the hard-top in place are a true testimate to Mercedes fine engineering capabilities.