1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
1997 SL500 SL1 SPORT
By 97sl on 01/04/14 20:52 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

This car is for a free spirit. Handles most superb. Never out of extreme power in any circumstance. Gets down and races anyone. An engineering feat. Most amazing car I've ever owned.

1997 Mercedes SL500 with 38,000 miles on
By Robert T on 05/09/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

This car is solidly built, handles extremely well, and is a pleasure to drive. The design is one of understated elegance. Mine has very low mileage for its age and all original paint with no mechanical problems. These are a bargain if you get one without issues as new they cost $89,000 w/o options. The r129 type from the pre-Chrysler era is desirable. The mileage is what one ought to expect from a two ton car driven with a big V-8; if you are having this much fun is has to cost a little money! Skip the non-factory wheels as they really do nothing for day-to-day performance.

A True German Classic Roadster...
By Realtor on 08/17/05 20:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

I came across my SL320 after the hurricanes took out my Mercedes ML with a 32 yr old oak tree. I can't say enough good things about this car. The car demands attention, a true head turner. I usually only put about 5k miles per year as a leisure car. This car is a blast, I leave my BMW at home and have racked on the miles-12k. I haved the hardtop stored, and the storage compartments behind the seats accomidate my briefcase. The best feeling to crank the A/C to 60 and drop the top, turn up the Bose system and let my cares fly off with the wind in my hair. Handling is surperb. Power is very impressive, and am thankful I got the 320 over the 500 and 600-with gas at 3bucks+, & lower insurance

Awesome car!
By consultU on 01/25/05 01:52 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

I've driven several of these cars and just bought one. They are extremely powerful and smooth driving. I also drove the Lexus SC400 and SC430, the Porsche Boxter and 911 and several others. They're all fun, but for my money the SL500 is tops. Driving with the convertible top down and the Bose stereo up is quite an experience. Try it!

Dream with a smile
By Brian on 01/03/05 20:48 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

For the past 30 years I've always wanted a Mercedes SL and finally after all the years of the desire, I have no disappointments. It's truly a dream car. I chose the 320 to not have to spend so much time at the gas pumps, but it still burns more than I expected. That might be due to the fact that I can't seem to slow it down. I really love this vehicle!

Smooth Power, Value and Quality
By safari_joe on 11/15/04 16:17 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL600 2dr Convertible

Hello all: I have found it to be a fast and subtle commuter/touring machine. I traded over to it from a 97 993 (which was a great car) as my wife was adverse to the Porsche ride (a very good ride in my opinion). This is my second SL and my 3rd Mercedes. As all SLís it is quietly fast and comfortable. The handling is greatly improved from models of the late 70ís and the dealer service has been equal to that of Porsche (excellent). As with the 993, I would recommend a dealer extended warranty as these cars can disrupt your budget if something major malfunctions after the original one expires. My wife is found of the panoramic roof in the rain and enjoys the heated seat.

Love It
By emoore40 on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

This is my second Mercedes but first SL. I purposefully purchased the 320 over the 500 and consider I made an excellent choice. This car has performed far above expectations.

The perfect automobile
By SRM on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 SL1 Sport 2dr Convertible

This is my second SL 500 and, like the first one, it has performed flawlessly. There is nothing like the solid feel of a Benz, and the convertible is the epitome of the MB design.