Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Great Sports Convertible
By Hesam

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

This is my 8th Mercedes, including 3 turbo-diesels, and 4 gas-sedans. The build quality is excellent. The ride is somewhat firm but it sticks to the ground and handles turns easily. It quietly reaches 100+mph and there's no wind-noise. The top and rollbar operates with 1 button. The auto-pullup windows are kind of awkward. The break- pedal travels toofar before stopping making easy stops difficult until you get used to the car. It can use a backseat and a larger trunk. The gas mileage is around 16 in city and 22 on freeway, as high as 26 on straight freeway. Car is a bit too heavy at 4170 pounds which affects it's acceleration. 6.3Sec 0-60 is a bit slow for a 315HP $90,000car. Parts overpriced

Favorite Features

Easy-operation tops. Small sporty body. CD-changer. Power seats. Rollbar. Side airbags, 5-speed automatic. Free Mercedes roadside assistance.

Suggested Improvements

Shorten brake-pedal travel. Wider driver seat. Backseat. Fold-in hardtop instead of 2 tops. Bigger trunk. Smoother transmission. Cold-air induction filter system. Lower gear ratio in first. Make gear-shift lock while driving so it wouldn't accidentally shift to reverse while driving. Better gas mileage.

Suprised by Reliability
By Jim

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

I have owned 3 other MB's, 2 New and 1 used. This 500 SL was puchased from a reliable dealer. (non-factory) I have always had good success with MB but this older, two owner SL has surprised me with its reliability. All systems have performed flawlessly. Many reviews have spoken disparagingly about this series of SL so I had some concerns about its longevity. So far it has been perfect after 18 months of ownership. The performance is exhiliarating but my best surprise is my fuel mileage. In the city I get a consistent 22MPG while on the road it is 26MPG or better. This model year (1996) or perhaps the care given by its previous owners had provided me a car that's a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

Styling. Engine. Smoothness. Acceleration. Fuel mileage. Easy operation of convertible top. Large cargo capacity

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is slow to when downshifting