Used 1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

1st Mercedes SL
By Ohio

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

This car is fun to drive. Lately it is winning out over the Harley. The looks that you get, and the enjoyment of driving it makes it one of the best cars I've owned.

Favorite Features

315HP and Bose Sound System.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seating comfort.

6 month toy
By duck

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

The looks this car gets are off the charts, but they come at a hefty price. I only drive my SL500 6 months a year. Therein lies the problem; already expensive cost of ownership, exacerbated by spreading the costs over only six months. That said, I still keep it, and wait for the spring to bring nice weather. The thrill of hitting the accelerator on this 300+ HP beast is beyond compare. Driving with the top down on a nice day is one of the finest auto experiences around. Then, pulling into valet parking of a crowded cafe or club is bound to stroke the ego of any redblooded American male.

Favorite Features

300+ HP engine blows away all but the most serious performance cars on the road, and the lines of this car are gorgeous.

Suggested Improvements

The tape deck is a waste. The storage space for the tapes is useless, and should be modified w/ aftermarket parts to hold cupholder or other useful storage. Though the power rearview mirror is nice, anyone driving the car immediately grabs it and attempts to move it by hand.

Beautiful Car, Ugly Payment
By MaeWest

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible

I've loved this car; it's my sixth pre- owned Mercedes. It's red and gets a lot of attention; it has been reliable and fun. I bought a 1991 Mercedes station wagon for the dogs to ride in; I'm picky about my baby! It flies and is beautiful inside and out. I'm cautious about parking it -- it gets door dings and scratches and white paint, so it's touched up once or twice a year. People apparently are jealous and vandalize it.

Favorite Features

The acceleration, the wind and sun on your face as you zoom down the road. When people race me at stoplights, I easily zip past them. It's fun to know you're driving the coolest car on the road!

Suggested Improvements

Add cupholders, put the CD player in the dash, get rid of the cassette-tape holders that spring up constantly in the console, replace the cheesy back plastic window with glass. The retractable hardtop on the 2003 is the way to go. In a few years I can afford a used one!

Roadster Rules!
By roadster

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL600 2dr Convertible

I've owned my '95 sl 600 roadster now for a couple of years. The performance of the 12-cylindar engine is beyond compare! With the computer chip the previous owner had installed, the horsepower rating goes from 389 to 432! Things to watch out for... seems like these cars are prone to need new catalytic converters at around 40k miles. Mine did..and fortunately it was covered by mercedes 8-year, 80k mile e/c warranty--thereby saving me $4k! ! low mileage '97 or '98 will give you a $130k car experience for half the price!

Favorite Features

engine performance convertable

Suggested Improvements

catalytic converters

Bittersweet
By MBS

1995 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL320 2dr Convertible

Although I loved this car, we have since parted ways. I could not have been more dissapponted with my SL experience. For the 3 years I owned the car I found that there is a huge cost of ownership that comes with maintaining this car. Service costs were more than the payments. I was always told that these cars would run very high mileage, but that mileage comes at a heafty cost. I would not buy another unless it was under the Starmark warrantee.

Favorite Features

There is nothing like driving the SL down the GW Parkway here in DC - Ignoring all of the service lights that are on.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes could give you Mercedes cars during service periods. While my Benz was in the shop (For MONTHS at a time) the least Benz could do is to give me another SL to drive.