2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S400 Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2012 S-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Serenity Now
By yossarian7

2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I recently traded in a 2011 BMW 535ix, which I found to be one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever owned, on a 2013 S550, which is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. The car is absolute serenity to drive. No wind noise; no engine noise; no tire noise. The V8 is 430hp/520lb-ft of pure butter. Sure, the car is big and heavy, but it carries its heft very well and it does not claim to be the ultimate driving machine (whereas the BMW did, and it was far from it). The S550's adaptive air suspension is more butter, and it keeps the car stable and level, even during spirited driving.

Favorite Features

Comfort, space, power, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Nav screen is small.

Awesome Car!!!
By mjeagent

2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S63 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Traded my 2012 Audi A8L. My Audi was a great car but when you compare it to the look of the 2012 S Class AMG there is no comparison. Then you add the engine comparison and the decision is easy. Only have 200 miles in the car but I can tell you that it is built like a tank, drives like your on glass, and sounds like a dream - both the exhaust note and the bang & olufsen stereo system. That's actually one option that one should not pass up. The sound system is AMAZING. I've had 40+ cars with all sorts of sound systems and this one blows all others away. The price is one that you take with a lump in the throat as the Audi A8 I was trading had a sticker price of $104,000 - $50k lower than S63.

Favorite Features

Bang & Olufsen!!! The tweeters that are throughout the car are a fantastic touch and it feels as though you are sitting within a recording studio. No matter if you are sitting still at a stoplight or flying down the highway at 80mph, it is worth twice the cost of the $6,000 option.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like that the horn is the audible locking option. I would rather here a nice chirp or beep. A loud honk isn't all that nice sounding when locking and walking away from a $150k car. That's pretty nit picky. Love the car.

Excellent ride incredible mpg
By bob494

2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S350 BlueTEC 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This S350 is smooth powerful and fun to drive. I have 6,000 miles on mine and it's the bast car I have ever owned including other Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi models. Interior is well laid out with all controls within easy access. My car gets 37 MPG on the highway and I am averaging over 31 MPG in mixed city and highway driving. 4 Matic works great in the rain or snow as well. This truly an exceptional ride, but be aware of expensive options as they are way over priced.

Favorite Features

Smooth steering, great traction in bad weather, super MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Options are too expensive, navigation system lacks features other manufacturers offer

Rough start to a great ride
By jlightfoot

2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

At 570 miles the pulley on the alternator wore a hole in the bottom radiator hose. I was 450 miles from home in west Texas. The dealership took a hose off a new car on the showroom floor to get me on the road, however it turned out the water pump had an incorrectly formed flange. The nearest water pump was 10 days away in Germany. They rented me a car to finish my journey. Once the new water pump came in and the old one was replaced the dealer I bought the car from in Dallas sent a truck 250 miles west to pick up the repaired vehicle, haul it 450 miles back east to my driveway. The service was incredible and Mercedes has my highest praise. Just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Minnesota.

Favorite Features

The lane maintaining feature and the blind spot awareness are worth their weight in gold. Every car should have these features. My wife enjoys the split screen that allows her to watch a movie while I can drive in total, beautiful silence. The new engine delivers a real snap and better gas mileage than the 2007 S550 that was traded in. That car had 116,000 miles and road mileage ran a pretty consistent 24 MPG. The new car is running 27 MPG or better. Had one 200 mile leg on last trip that averaged 29 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Very much preferred the dark gray interior available in the 2007. This car has the lighter interior and I can see where it is going to show dirt very easily. Also feel the truck is a bit smaller.