How Good Can It Get
By car guy on
2009 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)
Having moved up from an E500 that I thought was a good ride, this is sheer driving bliss. The quietness, feeling of solidity, lush interior ambiance, smart Euro styling, responsiveness, fore and aft roominess all combine for a memorable driving experience. Although my choice is not heavily optioned, the long list of standard features adequately satisfies my convenience and comfort wants. The paddle shifter capability is of dubious value for my driving habits and they inadvertently get bumped on occasion. I plan for this car to be a long term keeper and knowing that MB maintenance cost is expensive, I opted for the extended warranty.
Favorite Features
The fiber optic interior lighting is a unique and pleasing touch. The instrument panel and COMAND displays are easily legible in all lighting situations. Great HK sound comes out of all 14 speakers. Parktronic and the backup camera help to maneuver this big car.
Suggested Improvements
Scale back the fender flares to be less truck like. The iPod Integration Kit option at $425 is nothing more than a short cable with a plug. Should be standard equipment. Streamline the owners manual. Repetitiveness makes for a difficult read.