2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Review: Front Differential Seize Up

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Review

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Front Differential Seize Up
By moebaz on

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I was stopped at a red light.
When the light turned green and I was moving forward at about 15-20 miles per hour, the car came to a sudden stop.
The vehicle behind me almost ran into my back since there were no brake lights illuminated when this unfortunate malfunction took place.
I immediately looked the control panel for any malfunction alarm and there were none.
The root cause of the problem was front differential seize up without any warning.
There were the right amount of oil in the reservoir so the problem was no due to lack of lubrication.
The car was repaired by MB dealer and I was given a bill for (hold on to your pants) $8,252.
I called MB customer service to find out if there are any recall on this malfunction.
I was told none reported.
I have a hard time believing that I am the only one with this problem.
I almost came to a decision to sign over the title and have them sell the car to recover the repair cost.
Obviously the dealer is not at fault here.
However you would expect that a car of this caliber would be better designed and supported.
As you have guessed I am unhappy with my MB.
By the way if you are trying to sign on for MB online owner community and want to
choose the username "UNHAPPY", you can't.
It is already taken.
Try it with some #s.

A company with lack of vision. I had a problem with a Jeep that bought new. Right around 2 years the paint started to come off the hood. Called customer service and they said sorry we can not help you (warranty is good for 1 year). I painted the car for $500 and never looked at Chrysler again. Looks like MB is joining the list.

I suggest that Mercedes Benz to design a better drivetrain and stand behind their products.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review