Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

The best car I have ever owned
By Dr Ted

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned many new cars incuding 9 new Sclass mercedes. I purchased a new 2007 through my local dealers European delivery program. What a blast. The hotels they were incredible. But the hotels paled in comparison to driving the new S Class on the Autobahn. My wife and I both loved that car so much that the following year we went back to Germany and got another one. Well you guessed we are going back for our third one in August 2009. As long as Mercedes keeps making a car of this quality with such a high retained value I am In.

Styling, handling, and performance, plus incredible comfort

Let it run faster on the Autobahn for European delivery cars only, it's governed at 130.

Good Car, Not Thrilled, But Good Car
By ibitty

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is a very beautiful car. Not the best, but nice. Really the best on the market right now, but not sure that says a lot. S550 best of a choice for the current market when compared to the Quattroporte, 7 Series, A8. Cars I wish it came close too, the driving feel and comfort of my 2001 740iL or the elegance of my 2006 Range Rover. I have had it to the shop twice for TPMS and a tire that kept going flat.

The bottom of the front seat that extends out. I have long legs, what a simple but wonderful feature.

Side mirrors are too small. Passenger side mirror does not tint at night and while the tilt in reverse is a great feature, the tilt then turn out renders it useless. Ventilated seats sounded wonderful, too bad no air comes through the holes.

Second S550 ... first 4matic
By doublet

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just traded in my 2007 S550 (bought March 2006) with 24,000 miles on a new 4matic with almost every option (list $107k). Obviously I loved my 2007, or would not have bought the 2008. There is a big difference in both the driving and mileage of this one versus my 07. The new one is both 4matic and has the AMG appearance package. It drives more like a BMW, but gets much less gas mileage than the 2 wheel version. By the way, my old one had no reliability issues during the 2 years of ownership.

Ride, power, back-up camera, looks of AMG ground effects, GPS

I think that they should offer the S350 stateside. Their online link system often does not answer and often the people don't know the answer. Must call dealer service dept for answer. I now cancel the link after the free year runs out.

Best S series yet
By MTech8

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Had every generation of MB S class since 1991. This one by far is the best one ever! I can't truly comment on reliability yet since its still a new car. But so far no problems. The drive and the features of the car are great! Plenty of power for everyday driving. If you're a racer, you should be looking at AMG models. Gave the fuel economy an 8. It drinks gas like water, but not uncommon for V8. Think there is definite room for improvement though. Cross shopped against BMW 7 series. Choose this model due to the 7 series getting a model revision very soon.

Nappa leather is ultra luxurious (but worried about wear and tear). Keyless go rocks.

Range indicator (like to know how much miles I can still drive!) Naming rules for Navigation (annoying having to classify as home/work only). Menu button for Command system (easy way to get to the main menu without having to back through everything else) Bluetooth can take less space!

Ownership
By Bruce Hohler

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This car is all you would expect from Mercedes Benz. Economy is much better than advertised...25 on the highway at 80 MPH. Comfort is awesome, handling is great and interior layout was well thought out.

Use Michelin tires on all your vehicles.