2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Ownership
By Bruce Hohler on 02/07/08 10:54 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This car is all you would expect from Mercedes Benz. Economy is much better than advertised...25 on the highway at 80 MPH. Comfort is awesome, handling is great and interior layout was well thought out.

MB Quality is Back
By Review by Owner on 12/01/07 04:14 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

After having a couple of MBs with quality issues we are extremely pleased with the rock solid, problem- free S550 we have now had for several months and 3,000 miles. We waited 6 months to get an S with the ABC option but ABC provides such a great combination of ride and handling that it was worth it. COMMAND is very easy to use (I have never opened the manual) and allows for a dash that is free of button clutter (particularly compared to Lexus LS). You can get gas mileage well into the 20's on the highway but it can degrade to below 15 mpg in urban driving. But you feel so great in this vehicle that you hate to have to get out when you reach your destination

Review By Owner
By FLFX on 09/28/07 14:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Much better in in aspects then my 04 S430. By far the best under 100k Luxury Sedan. The car adapts to your driving style! How the new Consumer Reports can rate the Lexus LS higher is beyond me. It takes a bit to get used to the new COMAND, yet after that you will never want to go back to plastic push buttons again. How on earth could anyone think the controls are difficult to use, unless they never used a computer mouse in their lifetime. I am picky and looked at all in this class, and very satisfied with my purchase. European Luxury Sedans just have better road feel than the Japanese. The S Class has more steel interior parts than Lexus LS & is just a better handling car.

This car has everything
By tallyken on 09/20/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S63 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 7A)

Is it possible to have luxury, comfort, superb build quality, and safety in one car? Yup! Oh, you want performance too? Well, this is the one to get. I'm comparing the S63 to other cars I've owned: NSX, SL600, 2 Vipers, several Corvettes, S500, SL55 AMG, and the S63 rules.

Truly the Best
By Barbara on 07/30/07 23:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

My husband has been a Mercedes-Benz afficianado for decades but I have always bought whatever car I thought looked the best, which has led me to Audi and BMW many times over the years. Those vehicles were very enjoyable to own but were hopelessly unreliable. I just purchased a new car following my husband's advice (he has an S550 himself) and have never been this pleased with a car. The S is so refined and luxurious I can hardly fathom how I lived without it all this time. This truly is the best luxury sedan available today. So far it is completely problem free and it has that bank vault solidity to it, I am so enamored with this car.

Rumbling gas guzzler
By Chuck Sutnick on 07/14/07 11:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S63 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 7A)

New for '08, it's exhaust is tuned to rumble. It's too noisy on acceleration, and constantly hums in the rear compartment. I have an '07 S550 which gets 26.6 mpg on the highway. This S63 gets 18 mpg if you keep the speed at 70. Otherwise, mileage drops dramatically. Acceleration is awesome. The car starts out as a jack rabbit and turns into a missle. Before you know it, you're doing 60 mph in a 30 speed zone, and 90 in a 65. The interior is a superb improvement over the last generation. The dash is beautiful. The COMAND has 4 ways to get to a function making it user friendly.

One sweet ride
By FN SIK on 07/03/07 08:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S63 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 7A)

This car is absolutely fantastic! Everything about the car exudes quailty and hand built craftsmanship. The touch of the control buttons, the steering, the road grip (with not a hint of body roll at any speed I've traveled so far) The AMG leather is better than in the 600 and the seat comfort is unmatched with almost limitless adjustments. opperating the many features is easy and nearly intuitive through the command control or one of the redundant feature buttons. I havn't been able to pull the 4.5 sec.0-60 times reported, only able to get it to 6.3 (ironic) but I am not a professional driver and haven't managed to time my shifts correctly yet. Either way the car is a blast to drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class in NJ is:

$288 per month*