Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Almost Perfect Sedan
By Vincent Wong

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

As a total package, the 2008 S550 sets itself apart from all the super luxury sedans under $100K. I've owned many performance cars: CL500, Porsche 911's, BMW 7 series, Lexus LS430 etc.. The S550 by far is the most comfortable and pampering vehicle in its class. It has a perfect balance (through purposeful engineering) between performance and comfort - it's a well appointed family room on wheels. I'm in total agreement with MB's design philosophy: understated luxury as it is a true way to reflect the owner's sophisticated taste without overstating his/her presence. The S550 is a remarkable automobile.

Favorite Features

Interior, voice commands, keyless go, iPod integration, Bluetooth, Parktronics and most of all the V8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Use Michelin tires instead of the noisy Continentals. Metal front grille. Touch or a better interface for the COMAND GPS navigation - MB should let Apple's iPhone team do the interface for the COMAND center.

The best car I have ever owned
By Dr Ted

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned many new cars incuding 9 new Sclass mercedes. I purchased a new 2007 through my local dealers European delivery program. What a blast. The hotels they were incredible. But the hotels paled in comparison to driving the new S Class on the Autobahn. My wife and I both loved that car so much that the following year we went back to Germany and got another one. Well you guessed we are going back for our third one in August 2009. As long as Mercedes keeps making a car of this quality with such a high retained value I am In.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, and performance, plus incredible comfort

Suggested Improvements

Let it run faster on the Autobahn for European delivery cars only, it's governed at 130.

Good Car, Not Thrilled, But Good Car
By ibitty

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is a very beautiful car. Not the best, but nice. Really the best on the market right now, but not sure that says a lot. S550 best of a choice for the current market when compared to the Quattroporte, 7 Series, A8. Cars I wish it came close too, the driving feel and comfort of my 2001 740iL or the elegance of my 2006 Range Rover. I have had it to the shop twice for TPMS and a tire that kept going flat.

Favorite Features

The bottom of the front seat that extends out. I have long legs, what a simple but wonderful feature.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors are too small. Passenger side mirror does not tint at night and while the tilt in reverse is a great feature, the tilt then turn out renders it useless. Ventilated seats sounded wonderful, too bad no air comes through the holes.

Best S series yet
By MTech8

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Had every generation of MB S class since 1991. This one by far is the best one ever! I can't truly comment on reliability yet since its still a new car. But so far no problems. The drive and the features of the car are great! Plenty of power for everyday driving. If you're a racer, you should be looking at AMG models. Gave the fuel economy an 8. It drinks gas like water, but not uncommon for V8. Think there is definite room for improvement though. Cross shopped against BMW 7 series. Choose this model due to the 7 series getting a model revision very soon.

Favorite Features

Nappa leather is ultra luxurious (but worried about wear and tear). Keyless go rocks.

Suggested Improvements

Range indicator (like to know how much miles I can still drive!) Naming rules for Navigation (annoying having to classify as home/work only). Menu button for Command system (easy way to get to the main menu without having to back through everything else) Bluetooth can take less space!

Ownership
By Bruce Hohler

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This car is all you would expect from Mercedes Benz. Economy is much better than advertised...25 on the highway at 80 MPH. Comfort is awesome, handling is great and interior layout was well thought out.

Suggested Improvements

Use Michelin tires on all your vehicles.