Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Suspension noises
By westgent

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

My 2008 S550 4matic has 47,000 miles and I am the 2nd owner. I have owned it for about a year and have put 12K on it with no major complaints other than the following: 1) Coolant Level warning light, 2) ABS warning light, 3) noisy front end suspension noises. I believe the first two items are simple computer error causing the warning lights to illuminate having checked the coolant level and braking system with no signs of being too low or malfunctioning respectively. The annoying noises are a mystery. Is the air suspension? Is it rocker arms or bushings? Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated.

Front Differential Seize Up
By moebaz

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I was stopped at a red light. When the light turned green and I was moving forward at about 15-20 miles per hour, the car came to a sudden stop. The vehicle behind me almost ran into my back since there were no brake lights illuminated when this unfortunate malfunction took place. I immediately looked the control panel for any malfunction alarm and there were none. The root cause of the problem was front differential seize up without any warning. There were the right amount of oil in the reservoir so the problem was no due to lack of lubrication. The car was repaired by MB dealer and I was given a bill for (hold on to your pants) $8,252. I called MB customer service to find out if there are any recall on this malfunction. I was told none reported. I have a hard time believing that I am the only one with this problem. I almost came to a decision to sign over the title and have them sell the car to recover the repair cost. Obviously the dealer is not at fault here. However you would expect that a car of this caliber would be better designed and supported. As you have guessed I am unhappy with my MB. By the way if you are trying to sign on for MB online owner community and want to choose the username "UNHAPPY", you can't. It is already taken. Try it with some #s.

A company with lack of vision. I had a problem with a Jeep that bought new. Right around 2 years the paint started to come off the hood. Called customer service and they said sorry we can not help you (warranty is good for 1 year). I painted the car for $500 and never looked at Chrysler again. Looks like MB is joining the list.

I suggest that Mercedes Benz to design a better drivetrain and stand behind their products.

2008 S550 4matic with Distronic plus
By Ingo Rademacher

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second s class. have owned it for over 2 years and have done 42,000 miles problem free. can't compare ride to any other car that's trying to be in it's class. feels super heavy and planted on the road. 90% FWY drive MPG life average is 20.6 and i see 23-25mpg on my morning drives @77mph. I use Distronic plus (Adaptive cruise control stop-go) 99% of the time. Takes some understanding and becomes easier to use with time. The car drives me to work stress free, all i do is steer. When I come through Malibu canyon late night, i put it in sport mode and use the steering wheel gear shifters. The car turns into a WRX for just long enough ;-) and the engine goes nuts.

Distronic plus!! engine combined with 4WD, great in snow and rain. raise car 3" high with air suspension for off road or snow. seats. wood steering wheel option is so nice to hold, real elegant. AMG styling package.

Rear window shades should come standard. My 2 year old won't fall asleep in the car cause the ride is so quiet ;-)

Second S550 ... first 4matic
By doublet

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just traded in my 2007 S550 (bought March 2006) with 24,000 miles on a new 4matic with almost every option (list $107k). Obviously I loved my 2007, or would not have bought the 2008. There is a big difference in both the driving and mileage of this one versus my 07. The new one is both 4matic and has the AMG appearance package. It drives more like a BMW, but gets much less gas mileage than the 2 wheel version. By the way, my old one had no reliability issues during the 2 years of ownership.

Ride, power, back-up camera, looks of AMG ground effects, GPS

I think that they should offer the S350 stateside. Their online link system often does not answer and often the people don't know the answer. Must call dealer service dept for answer. I now cancel the link after the free year runs out.

• SUV