2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
The S63 is the best combination of comfort and speed in one machine
By riosouza on 08/03/14 18:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S63 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 7A)

The S63 is the best combination of comfort and speed in one machine, period. It has so much power on "S" mode that if it wasn't for the traction control it would be hard to keep it straight. It's like being on a Cadillac with the feeling of a high end sports car when you hit the gas pedal. I drive my S63 daily, and the comfort makes me slow down and enjoy the ride. Then when I got an idiot tailgating me, I just hit the gas for few seconds and he disappears on my rear view mirror. If you go for a test drive, you will buy it...

Suspension noises
By westgent on 06/07/13 16:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

My 2008 S550 4matic has 47,000 miles and I am the 2nd owner. I have owned it for about a year and have put 12K on it with no major complaints other than the following: 1) Coolant Level warning light, 2) ABS warning light, 3) noisy front end suspension noises. I believe the first two items are simple computer error causing the warning lights to illuminate having checked the coolant level and braking system with no signs of being too low or malfunctioning respectively. The annoying noises are a mystery. Is the air suspension? Is it rocker arms or bushings? Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated.

Front Differential Seize Up
By moebaz on 03/11/13 14:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I was stopped at a red light. When the light turned green and I was moving forward at about 15-20 miles per hour, the car came to a sudden stop. The vehicle behind me almost ran into my back since there were no brake lights illuminated when this unfortunate malfunction took place. I immediately looked the control panel for any malfunction alarm and there were none. The root cause of the problem was front differential seize up without any warning. There were the right amount of oil in the reservoir so the problem was no due to lack of lubrication. The car was repaired by MB dealer and I was given a bill for (hold on to your pants) $8,252. I called MB customer service to find out if there are any recall on this malfunction. I was told none reported. I have a hard time believing that I am the only one with this problem. I almost came to a decision to sign over the title and have them sell the car to recover the repair cost. Obviously the dealer is not at fault here. However you would expect that a car of this caliber would be better designed and supported. As you have guessed I am unhappy with my MB. By the way if you are trying to sign on for MB online owner community and want to choose the username "UNHAPPY", you can't. It is already taken. Try it with some #s.

2008 S550 4matic with Distronic plus
By Ingo Rademacher on 04/17/10 10:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second s class. have owned it for over 2 years and have done 42,000 miles problem free. can't compare ride to any other car that's trying to be in it's class. feels super heavy and planted on the road. 90% FWY drive MPG life average is 20.6 and i see 23-25mpg on my morning drives @77mph. I use Distronic plus (Adaptive cruise control stop-go) 99% of the time. Takes some understanding and becomes easier to use with time. The car drives me to work stress free, all i do is steer. When I come through Malibu canyon late night, i put it in sport mode and use the steering wheel gear shifters. The car turns into a WRX for just long enough ;-) and the engine goes nuts.

The Paradigm of Luxury
By Ross McCullen on 01/13/09 16:31 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew the S600 was perfect when I was at my local Mercedes Benz dealership, here in Houston. My wife loved it and the kids (8 and 16) love it also. (My teen girl really enjoyed the vanity mirrors), while it was nearly impossible getting my son out of the reclining rear seats. My wife enjoyed the fact that she could read and drive (I would never commend this action) in stop-and-go traffic due to the very intuitive Distronic Plus System. The COMMAND system was overwhelmingly easy and the car overall was extremely comfortable. I have owned a Jaguar XJ Super V8 and a 2003 Bentley Arnage, but they pale in comparison to this big Benz, due to the way it effortlessly combines luxury and technology

Almost Perfect Sedan
By Vincent Wong on 07/30/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

As a total package, the 2008 S550 sets itself apart from all the super luxury sedans under $100K. I've owned many performance cars: CL500, Porsche 911's, BMW 7 series, Lexus LS430 etc.. The S550 by far is the most comfortable and pampering vehicle in its class. It has a perfect balance (through purposeful engineering) between performance and comfort - it's a well appointed family room on wheels. I'm in total agreement with MB's design philosophy: understated luxury as it is a true way to reflect the owner's sophisticated taste without overstating his/her presence. The S550 is a remarkable automobile.

The best car I have ever owned
By Dr Ted on 06/28/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned many new cars incuding 9 new Sclass mercedes. I purchased a new 2007 through my local dealers European delivery program. What a blast. The hotels they were incredible. But the hotels paled in comparison to driving the new S Class on the Autobahn. My wife and I both loved that car so much that the following year we went back to Germany and got another one. Well you guessed we are going back for our third one in August 2009. As long as Mercedes keeps making a car of this quality with such a high retained value I am In.

Good Car, Not Thrilled, But Good Car
By ibitty on 06/10/08 15:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is a very beautiful car. Not the best, but nice. Really the best on the market right now, but not sure that says a lot. S550 best of a choice for the current market when compared to the Quattroporte, 7 Series, A8. Cars I wish it came close too, the driving feel and comfort of my 2001 740iL or the elegance of my 2006 Range Rover. I have had it to the shop twice for TPMS and a tire that kept going flat.

Super Sedan
By walter on 06/01/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S65 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I had this car for a 7months. This car has the best utilization for a super car. I considered Porsche 911 turbo, Audi R8, and Ferrari F430, but with a family, those cars are unacceptable. Considered Alpina B7 but, shaky reliability and it being non-factory car, I disqualified it from my list. I opted for S65 AMG for performance and 4 door convenience. I have not regretted choosing this over Porsches or Ferraris. Until Porsche Panamera or Ferrari comes with a four door sedan, this car has no competition. Plus reliability wise, MB is a far better choice. For now, this is the only choice for supersedan.

Second S550 ... first 4matic
By doublet on 04/09/08 10:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just traded in my 2007 S550 (bought March 2006) with 24,000 miles on a new 4matic with almost every option (list $107k). Obviously I loved my 2007, or would not have bought the 2008. There is a big difference in both the driving and mileage of this one versus my 07. The new one is both 4matic and has the AMG appearance package. It drives more like a BMW, but gets much less gas mileage than the 2 wheel version. By the way, my old one had no reliability issues during the 2 years of ownership.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.