Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

The S63 is the best combination of comfort and speed in one machine
By riosouza

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S63 AMG 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 7A)

The S63 is the best combination of comfort and speed in one machine, period. It has so much power on "S" mode that if it wasn't for the traction control it would be hard to keep it straight. It's like being on a Cadillac with the feeling of a high end sports car when you hit the gas pedal. I drive my S63 daily, and the comfort makes me slow down and enjoy the ride. Then when I got an idiot tailgating me, I just hit the gas for few seconds and he disappears on my rear view mirror. If you go for a test drive, you will buy it...

It's well built, and where most of other companies would use cheap chromed plastic, the S63 has metal, such as buttons. I love every feature of it.

Suspension noises
By westgent

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

My 2008 S550 4matic has 47,000 miles and I am the 2nd owner. I have owned it for about a year and have put 12K on it with no major complaints other than the following: 1) Coolant Level warning light, 2) ABS warning light, 3) noisy front end suspension noises. I believe the first two items are simple computer error causing the warning lights to illuminate having checked the coolant level and braking system with no signs of being too low or malfunctioning respectively. The annoying noises are a mystery. Is the air suspension? Is it rocker arms or bushings? Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated.

Front Differential Seize Up
By moebaz

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I was stopped at a red light. When the light turned green and I was moving forward at about 15-20 miles per hour, the car came to a sudden stop. The vehicle behind me almost ran into my back since there were no brake lights illuminated when this unfortunate malfunction took place. I immediately looked the control panel for any malfunction alarm and there were none. The root cause of the problem was front differential seize up without any warning. There were the right amount of oil in the reservoir so the problem was no due to lack of lubrication. The car was repaired by MB dealer and I was given a bill for (hold on to your pants) $8,252. I called MB customer service to find out if there are any recall on this malfunction. I was told none reported. I have a hard time believing that I am the only one with this problem. I almost came to a decision to sign over the title and have them sell the car to recover the repair cost. Obviously the dealer is not at fault here. However you would expect that a car of this caliber would be better designed and supported. As you have guessed I am unhappy with my MB. By the way if you are trying to sign on for MB online owner community and want to choose the username "UNHAPPY", you can't. It is already taken. Try it with some #s.

A company with lack of vision. I had a problem with a Jeep that bought new. Right around 2 years the paint started to come off the hood. Called customer service and they said sorry we can not help you (warranty is good for 1 year). I painted the car for $500 and never looked at Chrysler again. Looks like MB is joining the list.

I suggest that Mercedes Benz to design a better drivetrain and stand behind their products.

2008 S550 4matic with Distronic plus
By Ingo Rademacher

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second s class. have owned it for over 2 years and have done 42,000 miles problem free. can't compare ride to any other car that's trying to be in it's class. feels super heavy and planted on the road. 90% FWY drive MPG life average is 20.6 and i see 23-25mpg on my morning drives @77mph. I use Distronic plus (Adaptive cruise control stop-go) 99% of the time. Takes some understanding and becomes easier to use with time. The car drives me to work stress free, all i do is steer. When I come through Malibu canyon late night, i put it in sport mode and use the steering wheel gear shifters. The car turns into a WRX for just long enough ;-) and the engine goes nuts.

Distronic plus!! engine combined with 4WD, great in snow and rain. raise car 3" high with air suspension for off road or snow. seats. wood steering wheel option is so nice to hold, real elegant. AMG styling package.

Rear window shades should come standard. My 2 year old won't fall asleep in the car cause the ride is so quiet ;-)

The Paradigm of Luxury
By Ross McCullen

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew the S600 was perfect when I was at my local Mercedes Benz dealership, here in Houston. My wife loved it and the kids (8 and 16) love it also. (My teen girl really enjoyed the vanity mirrors), while it was nearly impossible getting my son out of the reclining rear seats. My wife enjoyed the fact that she could read and drive (I would never commend this action) in stop-and-go traffic due to the very intuitive Distronic Plus System. The COMMAND system was overwhelmingly easy and the car overall was extremely comfortable. I have owned a Jaguar XJ Super V8 and a 2003 Bentley Arnage, but they pale in comparison to this big Benz, due to the way it effortlessly combines luxury and technology

The Nappa seats (the best I have ever experienced, by far) COMMAND, Distronic Plus, rear reclining seats, ABC, smooth V12 engine,and the impressive, not polarizing looks.

Can you really improve a perfect car?