Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

How can they build at this level?
By grdow

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my car this weekend. I had owned a 2006 430S 4matic for 4 years. In that time it was trouble free for 2 periods of 6 months. Traded it in with 80k which was limited due to the multiple issues that we encountered. First the tire pressure sensors went...3 times. Next the turn signal control stick disintegrated. Next the heated steering wheel control had the same issues. The washer fluid reservoir cracked ($450). I went through a 1/2 dozen bulbs and each time a bulb goes out it disables the electrical system. The ultimate issue was the continued shaking when the car went over 50 MPH. Apparently there is a known issue with the struts, but MB will not own up to it. Never again!!!

Favorite Features

interior size and stereo sound

Suggested Improvements

total quality review and back it up if there is an issue.

Never Again
By gadaria

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S350 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

The S Class is the supposed flag ship of the Mercedes lineup. She is a beautiful car on the outside and on the inside. With great styling and decent performance for its weight. But the car is always needing repair. If it's not one thing then it's another. -Transmission leak first week of leasing -Airmatic suspension went out FOUR times; car was so low to the ground it had to be towed.($2500 fix) -ESP went out a couple of times ($1000 fix) List goes on but i'll stop. Overall I'm disappointed with the amount of money thrown at this car after what I paid for it. At the time of this post that car had lost 92% of its value. I expected more from their S class.

Favorite Features

1.Slick exterior and interior 2.Ability to switch from MPH to KMH (Useful when traveling from US to Canada) 3.Cruise control is easy to adjust 4.Speedometer and Tachometer are easy on the eyes

Suggested Improvements

1.) Dump airmatic suspension 2.) Stop using Chrysler engines. The engine did not fail on me, but it's still an American engine. They took the 3.2L from the E class and just shorten the walls to make the S350 a 3.5L; If I had added a turbo/supercharger (small excep to centrifugal) then those walls may have cracked 3.) Fix the electronic safety features permanently

2006 S350
By notvanilla1

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S350 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this one two months ago with 51,000 miles on it. Was looking at a S430 also, but now glad I purchased the S350. I didn't buy the car to race and the 3.5L engine is more than adequate to power this vehicle. It doesn't have all of the gadgets the S430 has, but then there are less gadgets to fail later on. Comfort and quality are all a Mercedes should be. This is by far the best driving Mercedes I have owned (my twelfth one). I thought my 1985 500SEC (Euro) was nice and my 1994 E420 was great, but this beats them hands down.

Favorite Features

Body is excellent and the interior is superb. That's all I have to say about that.

Not a happy owner
By SocalJoe

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S350 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We had several costly items right after warranty period though the mileage was still only just over 30k, we had to replace valve gasket, airmatic air pump and relay, and recently (37k) replace air injection pump and relay. reliability is much worse than any other MB we owned or had owned.

Favorite Features

Ride is excellent, had very good highway mileage

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system and reliability

best ever riden in
By robert500s

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned many luxury vehicles. I would never buy another American luxury car, especially Cadillac. The MB surpasses the Cadillac 1000% in comfort, stability, design, and value in the long run. Find a good MB mechanic vs. the dealer to do the maintenance because the dealers rip you off - like $300 for a oil change!

Favorite Features

The SC mod and the sports drive & ride modes are so awesome for a large vehicle it seems like your driving a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

MB needs to crack down on the dealers. Cadillac surpasses MB by 100% on the service. All the Tampa Bay dealers mess you around when you bring the car in unlike the Cadillac dealers. The difference in the vehicles warrants the patient level required to deal with the dealer service dummies.