2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
High Cost of Maintenance - Great Car!
By Krista on 04/19/10 16:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This is my first Benz and I really like the car. My fiance bought a 2004 C Class the same day and has not had as good an experience as I. Great interior size, great performance, great styling. White Exterior, cream interior - just yummy looking! Stereo system sounds great, but the iPod connection is subpar, to say the least. Handles well in all weather and the brakes are second to none; I feel very safe in this vehicle. The only major issues are: electronics are touch and go on this vehicle, maintenance costs are expensive on all MB, storage is NON EXISTANT on this vehicle (interior or trunk - you are hard pressed to fit 10 bags of groceries). But the leg room in back is truly wonderful!

Nightmare
By Sam on 12/13/08 01:00 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been the worst car I have ever had. The vaccum assist has gone bad 5 times and so has the GPS. Driver side seat has been repired more than 4 times. Above all, I lost complete power stering fluid at 65mph and no warning light came. I nearly died controlling the car. Tire pressure sensors have gone bad, battery, alternator, dvd on the gps. Music dvd cartridge. The only saving grace has been that the dealers repiring the car have been polite and agreed to fix the items. Now as soon as the car is out of warranty i needed engine mounts, trans mounts and control arms. German cars are not only very poorly made, they are also very, very expensive to maintain.

Great Car... Best I've Owned
By Ishan on 07/08/08 20:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the car last weekend and I cant get enough of driving it. It's a super smooth car, rides like no other, not even other MBs. This is smooth creamy ride. I wish it just had a bit more power, but I can compensate it with the manual shifter, because I love leading off-the-line. The car is worth the money and I get compliments like crazy, even from people I don't know. I got black/black and I love it. I feel like I want to drive it all the time. I really don't have any experience in the reliability of the vehicle, but it better be excellent because its a MB because I heard that repairs can be costly.

Fun when it works
By Dissapointed on 04/15/07 14:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great when it works. Fun to drive, quiet, responsive, nice style, but reliability is awful. Electronics are terrible. What a shame. Second Mercedes in a row that was a lemon. It also depreciated from $96,5000 new to under $50,000 in just a little under two years. Stay away! Look at Lexus LS instead.

Tires, brakes and dash
By Marty Cohan on 01/16/06 03:15 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Brakes have squealed since first service. At 19,000 miles I am on my third set of Michelin Pilot sports at =/-$300 each. Dash electric went out in first 6,000 miles and dealer replaced under warranty. Dealer also performed a full alignment on them after second set of tires wore out.

Great luxury and safety
By 2005 Mercedes-Benz s on 01/12/06 23:41 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned two S500 sedans and I can't imagine driving anything else. I have the sport package and love the interior. The ride is so smooth,nothing compares. The front and rear seat areas are roomy. Seats are comfortable and easily adjustable to drivers and passengers of all sizes. Very open feel and no blind spots. Keyless go and automatic door and trunk closing is great. Sound system is awesome. Hands free phone system is a must have. I had a major side impact accident and the car held up to its reputation for safety. The head curtain airbags saved my life, and side door airbags prevented serious injury. Walked away without a scratch.

Safety, Comfort, Style and Value
By Dr. Mike on 05/27/05 09:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

I have bought two of these cars in the last few months. The first was for my wife. She loved it so much, she would not let me near it. I had to get one for myself. It is quiet and solid. Definite first class ride and feel, and a great value in comparison. You can easily negotiate 15 to 20% off MSRP, making it a great buy for something you will love to drive for many years to come. I do love the gadgets. Voice activated system, great navigation, satellite radio, phone, and all the extra stuff I still need to learn about. My only criticism is MB did away with the included maintenance and some of the cloth interior, i.e. visor, etc look a little chintzy on this flagship model. A great car!

Mercedes Got It Right!
By Kevin on 05/18/05 16:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This auto is a dream to drive! But, even sitting still it looks the part. Ours has the standard rims which have been triple plated. That really sets off the Pewter color. We don't have all the bells and whistle's I'd like but that just means I get to buy another at some point in the future. My wife has severe back and leg pain and this is the ONLY vehicle in which she adjust the seat to the point she is comfortable and depend on the vehicle to be smooth enough to keep her that way. We love it!

My S500
By Vince Le on 03/12/05 07:56 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is by far the best built and best luxury car I have ever owned. I have just about driven and owned almost every car under $100,000 for the past 6 years. This car is by far the most reliable and the best car I have ever own.

The Best Car Ever
By Ryan Jennings on 02/28/05 20:55 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I recently bought this new S-class 500 at Atlanta Classic Car and it was my most enjoyable buying experience. Mercedes knows how to treat its consumers right. I love this car it has a strong engine and the technology is amazing. The safety aspect was one of the reasons I bought this car. It has the Pre-Safe system and 8 different airbags. The seats are very confortable and it can make you feel as if you were riding in a limo. Love the Car. If your in the market for a quality and powerful luxary sedan, the Mercedes should be your fist choice. Love this car!