Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

High Cost of Maintenance - Great Car!
By Krista

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This is my first Benz and I really like the car. My fiance bought a 2004 C Class the same day and has not had as good an experience as I. Great interior size, great performance, great styling. White Exterior, cream interior - just yummy looking! Stereo system sounds great, but the iPod connection is subpar, to say the least. Handles well in all weather and the brakes are second to none; I feel very safe in this vehicle. The only major issues are: electronics are touch and go on this vehicle, maintenance costs are expensive on all MB, storage is NON EXISTANT on this vehicle (interior or trunk - you are hard pressed to fit 10 bags of groceries). But the leg room in back is truly wonderful!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior. Exterior styling. Road handling. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Storage - trunk is like a large glove box. No storage in the interior - nowhere to put glasses, pens, phone charges, etc). Cup Holders - Worst design I have ever seen. Can only hold one cup in front seat and it often tips over with coffee flying everywhere. Electronics are iffy. WORST IPOD Interface

Nightmare
By Sam

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been the worst car I have ever had. The vaccum assist has gone bad 5 times and so has the GPS. Driver side seat has been repired more than 4 times. Above all, I lost complete power stering fluid at 65mph and no warning light came. I nearly died controlling the car. Tire pressure sensors have gone bad, battery, alternator, dvd on the gps. Music dvd cartridge. The only saving grace has been that the dealers repiring the car have been polite and agreed to fix the items. Now as soon as the car is out of warranty i needed engine mounts, trans mounts and control arms. German cars are not only very poorly made, they are also very, very expensive to maintain.

Great Car... Best I've Owned
By Ishan

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the car last weekend and I cant get enough of driving it. It's a super smooth car, rides like no other, not even other MBs. This is smooth creamy ride. I wish it just had a bit more power, but I can compensate it with the manual shifter, because I love leading off-the-line. The car is worth the money and I get compliments like crazy, even from people I don't know. I got black/black and I love it. I feel like I want to drive it all the time. I really don't have any experience in the reliability of the vehicle, but it better be excellent because its a MB because I heard that repairs can be costly.

Favorite Features

Manual shifter, auto-open/auto-close windows from the outside and the folding of the outside mirrors when locking the car.

Suggested Improvements

Power was lacking because of the weight of the car.

Fun when it works
By Dissapointed

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great when it works. Fun to drive, quiet, responsive, nice style, but reliability is awful. Electronics are terrible. What a shame. Second Mercedes in a row that was a lemon. It also depreciated from $96,5000 new to under $50,000 in just a little under two years. Stay away! Look at Lexus LS instead.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, style.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Subcontract the car out ot the Japanese to design, engineer, and build.

Tires, brakes and dash
By Marty Cohan

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Brakes have squealed since first service. At 19,000 miles I am on my third set of Michelin Pilot sports at =/-$300 each. Dash electric went out in first 6,000 miles and dealer replaced under warranty. Dealer also performed a full alignment on them after second set of tires wore out.

Favorite Features

Napa leather seats and acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Replace navigation with the Lexus edition