Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

High Cost of Maintenance - Great Car!
By Krista

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This is my first Benz and I really like the car. My fiance bought a 2004 C Class the same day and has not had as good an experience as I. Great interior size, great performance, great styling. White Exterior, cream interior - just yummy looking! Stereo system sounds great, but the iPod connection is subpar, to say the least. Handles well in all weather and the brakes are second to none; I feel very safe in this vehicle. The only major issues are: electronics are touch and go on this vehicle, maintenance costs are expensive on all MB, storage is NON EXISTANT on this vehicle (interior or trunk - you are hard pressed to fit 10 bags of groceries). But the leg room in back is truly wonderful!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior. Exterior styling. Road handling. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Storage - trunk is like a large glove box. No storage in the interior - nowhere to put glasses, pens, phone charges, etc). Cup Holders - Worst design I have ever seen. Can only hold one cup in front seat and it often tips over with coffee flying everywhere. Electronics are iffy. WORST IPOD Interface

Nightmare
By Sam

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been the worst car I have ever had. The vaccum assist has gone bad 5 times and so has the GPS. Driver side seat has been repired more than 4 times. Above all, I lost complete power stering fluid at 65mph and no warning light came. I nearly died controlling the car. Tire pressure sensors have gone bad, battery, alternator, dvd on the gps. Music dvd cartridge. The only saving grace has been that the dealers repiring the car have been polite and agreed to fix the items. Now as soon as the car is out of warranty i needed engine mounts, trans mounts and control arms. German cars are not only very poorly made, they are also very, very expensive to maintain.

Safety, Comfort, Style and Value
By Dr. Mike

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

I have bought two of these cars in the last few months. The first was for my wife. She loved it so much, she would not let me near it. I had to get one for myself. It is quiet and solid. Definite first class ride and feel, and a great value in comparison. You can easily negotiate 15 to 20% off MSRP, making it a great buy for something you will love to drive for many years to come. I do love the gadgets. Voice activated system, great navigation, satellite radio, phone, and all the extra stuff I still need to learn about. My only criticism is MB did away with the included maintenance and some of the cloth interior, i.e. visor, etc look a little chintzy on this flagship model. A great car!

Favorite Features

Size, style, value, comfort, and safety. A first class ride and feel. I like all the extra gizmo's and gadgets.

Suggested Improvements

Should bring back courtesy scheduled maintenance like BMW and Volvo. Some interior decor a little chintzy for such a class car.

The Ultimate Luxury Sedan
By Greg Rhea

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

Great styling, wonderful performance, spacious interior. A must have if you want to drive an awesome sedan with nible capabilities that has safety features that are second to none. And you will always get front row parking from the valet.

Still pleased
By john

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This is my third Benz and I'm still quite pleased with selection. Even thought this is a large car, the sport package helps make it look and perform like a smaller sport sedan. Styling of the car sets it apart from the competition. Dealer support remains strong. Only dissatisfaction is in rear tire wear.

Favorite Features

Styling and handling remain the strong features for me. Interior appointments are refined and not overdone.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system is not as user friendly as some I have experienced but improvements are expected