2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
High Cost of Maintenance - Great Car!
By Krista on 04/19/10 16:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This is my first Benz and I really like the car. My fiance bought a 2004 C Class the same day and has not had as good an experience as I. Great interior size, great performance, great styling. White Exterior, cream interior - just yummy looking! Stereo system sounds great, but the iPod connection is subpar, to say the least. Handles well in all weather and the brakes are second to none; I feel very safe in this vehicle. The only major issues are: electronics are touch and go on this vehicle, maintenance costs are expensive on all MB, storage is NON EXISTANT on this vehicle (interior or trunk - you are hard pressed to fit 10 bags of groceries). But the leg room in back is truly wonderful!

Nightmare
By Sam on 12/13/08 01:00 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been the worst car I have ever had. The vaccum assist has gone bad 5 times and so has the GPS. Driver side seat has been repired more than 4 times. Above all, I lost complete power stering fluid at 65mph and no warning light came. I nearly died controlling the car. Tire pressure sensors have gone bad, battery, alternator, dvd on the gps. Music dvd cartridge. The only saving grace has been that the dealers repiring the car have been polite and agreed to fix the items. Now as soon as the car is out of warranty i needed engine mounts, trans mounts and control arms. German cars are not only very poorly made, they are also very, very expensive to maintain.

A Great Car
By Mr. Marques on 08/18/08 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This is my first ever own Benz the 2004 Black on Black AMG. It is my retirement gift and it is everything that I could ever ask for in a sedan. The only bad thing I can say is the gas mileage but hey when you can go that fast what the heck. It's a beast and when I'm in heavy traffic on the Interstate I can hit the pedal and go yeah. So if you dare get one you won't be dissapointed. It's true to its form.

Great Car... Best I've Owned
By Ishan on 07/08/08 20:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the car last weekend and I cant get enough of driving it. It's a super smooth car, rides like no other, not even other MBs. This is smooth creamy ride. I wish it just had a bit more power, but I can compensate it with the manual shifter, because I love leading off-the-line. The car is worth the money and I get compliments like crazy, even from people I don't know. I got black/black and I love it. I feel like I want to drive it all the time. I really don't have any experience in the reliability of the vehicle, but it better be excellent because its a MB because I heard that repairs can be costly.

Fun when it works
By Dissapointed on 04/15/07 14:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great when it works. Fun to drive, quiet, responsive, nice style, but reliability is awful. Electronics are terrible. What a shame. Second Mercedes in a row that was a lemon. It also depreciated from $96,5000 new to under $50,000 in just a little under two years. Stay away! Look at Lexus LS instead.

S55 AMG
By pat g on 12/23/06 01:10 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The S55 AMG has a perfect blend of comfort, styling and performance. I look forward to road trips in this car. It is incredible. It has tons of room, especially in the back. When I start the car with the keyless go, a cool option, the engine sound is incredible. The exhaust and supercharger emit a sound that lets the occupants know that there is plenty of power available when needed. The supercharger has a subtle and very cool whining sound that is downright stimulating. The active body control suspension is amazing and definitely adds a very connected and sporty but smooth feel to the ride. This is the ultimate sedan. Period.

Tires, brakes and dash
By Marty Cohan on 01/16/06 03:15 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Brakes have squealed since first service. At 19,000 miles I am on my third set of Michelin Pilot sports at =/-$300 each. Dash electric went out in first 6,000 miles and dealer replaced under warranty. Dealer also performed a full alignment on them after second set of tires wore out.

Great luxury and safety
By 2005 Mercedes-Benz s on 01/12/06 23:41 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned two S500 sedans and I can't imagine driving anything else. I have the sport package and love the interior. The ride is so smooth,nothing compares. The front and rear seat areas are roomy. Seats are comfortable and easily adjustable to drivers and passengers of all sizes. Very open feel and no blind spots. Keyless go and automatic door and trunk closing is great. Sound system is awesome. Hands free phone system is a must have. I had a major side impact accident and the car held up to its reputation for safety. The head curtain airbags saved my life, and side door airbags prevented serious injury. Walked away without a scratch.

S55 AMG
By Ron Kidd on 10/07/05 10:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

A world class automobile. A thrill to drive. It handles on par with most high performance sports cars but with the legendary S class comfort. Truely a shame that there is no place I can really open her up! I do wish that the final drive was a little taller for enhanced fuel economy!

Serious Speed in a Sedan
By D Coz on 06/12/05 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This is a first class car. It is quick off the line and even quicker when you accelerate from 70 up. The transition of power is real smooth and with the sport package wheels it's flashy with a minimum of chrome. I love the car and all my friends envy me now. Best car I've ever had. Buy one if you can afford it. It's slick!