Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Fantastic car ruined...
By kldcoombs

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

... by inexcusable disregard for quality and repair design. In short, if repair costs scare you AVOID the S600, if you don't care about repair costs I highly recommend it! If you fall in between, read on . . . This review is specifically for the S600, most of the problems are specific to - or worsened by the V12; unfortunate because this car is an absolute pleasure and blast to drive. I have owned and loved 3 Mercedes prior to this one. 1996 (R129) SL500, 2005 SLK55 AMG, 2003 ML500. The nearly 20 year old SL500 is probably the best car I have ever owned (and my wife frequently reminds me have owned more than 60). The ML500 is my wife's, 160K miles and it still basically drives like new with less than $2K of repairs (not including maintenance) over it's entire life. SLK55 was brilliant for the entire time I owned it. I purchased the S600 used with 73K miles on it. Out of the 60 cars mentioned above, I have only purchased 2 new. When I purchase a used car I know it is used and plan on spending $2K or 20% of purchase price (whichever is greater) to repair things that have been ignored by the previous owner. I am saying this to provide context and to explain that I don't buy a used car and expect it to be like new. The S600, within 3 months, cost 50% of purchase price in repairs including: 1- Environmental control sensor (common problem on this version of S series) $400 2- Front ABC Struts, $2,400 3- Driver side Ignition Coil Pack $1,800 4- Plugs (recommended every 30K miles) $280 (NOTE: Labor for plugs was applied to coil pack above, otherwise plugs are $900 themselves for parts and labor) 5- Right and Left control arms due to broken bushings $800 Total = >$5,500 NOTE: Although the Struts are a semi-common problem on this version of the S Class, the problem is significantly compounded by the weight of the V12. Ignition coil pack is specific to the V12, on the V8 each coil can be purchased separately, in the 12 6 coils are grouped in a 'pack' meaning if ONE COIL goes bad you REPLACE SIX! Control arm bushings is an issue that is much more common in the V12 due to weight change and no change in design. NOTE: I had a good mechanic go through this car prior to purchase, other than the struts, which I could argue he should have caught, the other problems did not present until I had driven the car for 1000 miles or more. The problems also didn't occur all at once, I fixed one, then another occurred. That is the bad, on the other side of the coin, I am hugely impressed with the driving characteristics of the car. It is a nose heavy pig of a car that weighs well over 2 tons but acceleration is fantastic; I have a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport which will kill the S600 0 to 60 - but 30 to 80 the S600 is nearly even. The S600 takes aggressive corners (corners marked as 35 MPH taken at 60 MPH) and remains almost perfectly flat and entirely composed. With the ABC settings and ride height adjustments this car can go from feeling almost like a really good GT car, to a very comfy drive around (on really bumpy roads). All 4 seats recline, massage, heat and cool (although 'cool' is really ventilate and doesn't work very well). Finally, this is all delivered while getting about 25 MPG on the freeway (drops to about 12 around town). I had planned on purchasing an SL65 or SL600 next spring (SL600 would replace SL500 - SL 65 would replace Grand Sport), at this point I do not intend to ever purchase a 12 cylinder Mercedes again. If I move forward with the Mercedes I will either go with the SL55 AMG or, more likely, the SL 550. That said, the incredibly crazy frequency of issues on the S600, and me having to avoid the top-end Mercedes models (the 63 AMG is still too new for my budget), opens the door to a Jaguar XKR, which which is something that was an almost non-option prior to my experience with the S600. Mercedes had a customer for life, that they have turned to an opportunistic shopper.

2004 S600 Bi-Turbo
By bmwerz

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

It's a great car, very powerful engine. I beat a Porsche 911 Carrera 4 with this car. My car has all the options available plus some more upgrades, so it's a really nice car.

Keyless go

Better handling please.

WOW
By JIMS 04 600

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

WHAT AN AMAZING MACHINE. ALL YOU HAVE TO IS POINT IT AND HIT THE GAS. IF YOU'RE GOING TO DRIVE AN S, SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY. THIS ONE HAS EVERY OPTION KNOWN TO MERCEDES. THE V12 IS NOT ONLY FAST, BUT SMOOTH. ENJOY THE RIDE, FROM THE FRONT OF THE LINE.

VOICE COMMAND, KEYLESS GO, CRUISE CONTROL THAT KEEPS YOU AT A SAFE DISTANCE, DYNAMIC SEATS, SATELLITE RADIO.

THE CUP HOLDER IS A JOKE. THE STROAGE UNDER THE CENTER CONSOLE IS GONE IN THE 600. IT WAS A GREAT CONVENIENCE IN THE S55.

Best car I've ever had
By Luchie

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I used to drive E 300 before and I wasn't impressed at all w/ the comfort of driving it. I didn't like Mercedez not until I drove S 500 4 door sedan.The comfort and power is really good it gives the power I needed when I need it.Bose sound system is excellent and the heated/cooling seats I loved it.I also loved the size of it sleek not too wide.

Amazing Vehicle
By Manohar

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I have traveled in the citty numerous times. It is also my every day driver. I have even used this car on long road trips, from Chicago to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and from Chicago to Niagra Falls. It is extremely comfortable for all occasions and I enjoy it to the fullest extent. It is the best car I have owned in my life.

Navigation system, hands free cell phone, Parktronic, Air Suspension, Heated/Cooled Seats (front and rear), rear power seats, rear vanity mirrors, folding sideview mirrors, wooden steering wheel/shift knob, KEYLESS GO is amazing/awesome

Take off the limiter on the speedometer and make it go faster, take off the limiter on the twin-turbo horsepower/torque output