2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
S500 2004
By Will on 03/04/09 12:02 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had this car almost 2 years. No issues. S500 engine with 7 speed transmission is like silk with rocket take-offs when passing on highways. 20-24mpg on hwy / 18-20 avg combined. Mercedes has addressed quality issues which were apparent during the 1990's. I've had a 2000 E320 and the 2004 S500. Both cars have been issue - free and low maintenance while a pleasure to drive. Nice curb appeal was well for business.

Radio problem
By thesetter on 02/03/06 07:08 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Driving the S500 is fun, however I have been having problems with the radio. It sometimes freezes at a particular station and when yor press the preset buttons, nothing happens. I have taken this car in to MB 5 times and finally they will replace the head unit (as recomommended by an MB factory tech). I'm hoping that this will solve the problem and not cause other problems in the car. Other than the radio, the car is fine.

'04 S500 - 8 months, no issues
By carnut100 on 08/04/05 10:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I read about quality issues with Mercedes and I cannot relate. I have had 2 recent S classes and 2 SL classes. All with no problems. The S500 does 0-60 in sub 6 seconds and is quite a surprise. Must be the 7 speed transmission. I wish the engine sounded a little more throaty. It's too quiet. The S500 is more economical than my 2003 S430?? Don't know why, but a whole mile per gallon better in town.

The Best Car In The World
By merc4ever88 on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car has a class of its own no other car can come close to this car. Every other cars tries to be like this car but none can. The style is beautiful, performance is brilliant, interior quality is splendid. What more can you ask for.

MB quality is poor
By David Hiers on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Within an hour of bringing this brand new car home the passenger side xenon headlights burned out. The car has a vibration at 55 mph and above. The car has been back to the dealership for 5 days out of the 8 I have had it and they still cannot fix the vibration. They put brand new michelin tires on it yesterday and it still vibrates. They are calling in a MB technician next week to see what is wrong. It vibrates so bad that the passenger seat and headrest shake. The cupholders are really bad. The dealership has been very professional but have been unable to fix the problem. Wish I had purchased the LS430.

s500 Rocks!!!
By rsboca on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I had to get the S500 asap. The reason? I previously owned a S500 on a 2 year lease. When the lease was up my wife urged me to get a Lexus & I did (for 2 years) Yes, A lexus is great. BUT a S500 is like no other car. NOW I am soooooo happy! Quality=The Best & Fun to drive & Safety. If You have the cash, GET THIS CAR.

Initial Impressons of the new S Class
By C Hull M.D. on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car replaced identical 2000 S Class which had numerous electrical and computer problems. New model is free from these glitches. Never had mechanical problem with Mercedes. Enjoy the quality of the burl walnut and interior appointments. New features that I like are the power trunk,keyless go start on the shift knob, voice control on nearly everything,power curtains, digital readout of tire pressures and a much improved navigational system on DVD. Car remains very responsive with sharp turning radius. I don't need AMG assist for my driving.It appears to me M-B has given us many innovations that are quickly copied by other manufactures.

Best looking luxury sedan on the streets
By Gannon on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Love the car. More money than competitors but love it. Power does not stop. Luxury options for days. Body style is the best on the road. Nothing beats black even though I got pewter.

Need better Audio/GPS/Control System
By DrJT2 on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I also have a new 2003 Lexus LX470 and an old LS400. I guess I can compare them pretty well here: 1. The S500 is a noisy car during acceleration. The Lexus is much quieter. 2. The GPS/Audio system on the S500 sucks; it's very hard to operate unless you remember all the details and look at it while driving all the time. The GPS/Audio on the LEXUS is much easier to use and the touch- screen on Lexus is intuitive and easiser to use. 3. The audio system on S500 is not too impressive. Lexus audio is better. 4. The road handling is much more solid for the S500. 5. The exterior look of S500 is more stylish than the LS430 even for the new LS430 models.

Mercedes S Class
By brokerbj on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I never thought I would have an S Class but I do now and I love it. One of my friends has the large BMW and I thought that was the ultimate car until I got my 500. I LOVE IT and will keep it forever!!!!!!!!!