2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Just bought this in Silver (S430 4Matic)
By johnmassaria on 05/31/12 18:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I will be taking her home on Monday. The car has 29,000 miles on it and all I can say after all the crap my family has gone through for 7 years, this car is a blessing. My we enjoy it in good health and may the car always come though for us. So far it is crazy awesome. Previous cars I have owned new were: 1994 300ZX 2 seater with T-Tops, 2001 Audi A6Q 3.2 , 2006 Audi A6Q 3.2, 2009 BMW 328XI. This will be the first time I have bought a used vehicle in 18 years. So far so good, will follow up with real review as I drive it more.... :)

Worst Car On The Road
By Peter The Great on 01/10/09 17:09 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've had the S430 4matic for nine months now and with only 31,000 miles on the odometer, I have been to the service department 31 times for various mechanical and electrical problems during that nine months. Merecedes has lost its glory, as a German national told me, pleople in Germany prefer Japanese Cars. After my last two Mercedes (both were defective), I'm giving Lexus a try, "Hello LS 460"

Perfect Car
By Lisa Lopez on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The Mercedes is a great car with great handling and will always be a favorite too many people. I love my Benz and it is at the top of it's class.

By benghoe on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned the S430 - 4matic for about 5 months. Had to send it back to the dealership twice - several days at a time - for warranty defects. Expecting more trips to the workshop as problems have not gone away. The car runs smoothly but performance is not exceptional. Everytime I pass a Lexus LS or BMW 745, I question my purchase.

Mercades S-430
By Grand Oganesyam on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Geart car to drive. very fast a V8 engine

A Waste of Money
By John III on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The 2004 S430 is not worth the money. We have had problems that have never been corrected since the day we took delivery. There is always a problem that can never be fixed, nor does Mercedes care to solve the problems. We are even told that the battery cannot support all the electronics in the car, so if you go on vacation, you better buy a voltage charger or assume your electronics won't work when you get back! Moreover, Mercedes doesn't care about this or any other problem they know exists!

Mercedes S- class
By scooter of manhattan on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Not great with repard to service response from dealer or manufacturer, many delicery flaws not dealt with and neither manufacturer nor dealer take responsibiltiy -- a real frustrating catch 22 for a vehicle of this cost and supposed caliber.

beware vaporware
By Klaus is in the hous on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

2004's are "satelite ready" but Mercedes is not saying when the Sirius Satelite radios will indeed be available. And of course the electronics are such that you can't have one installed at your local Tweeter store. You pay for a feature that may never arrive and end up with a system that you can't modify on your own. Only the in dash CD player plays mp3 CD's -not the 6 CD changer in the trunk, which by the way, a Mercedes techical bulliten says jams. Disappointing to say the least. I'll revisit the Phaeton or wait for 2005 to start the search anew.

good in rain and snow
By bowl1901 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I had a s430 and it was a fine car. In the winter the traction was adequate. The s4304matic is much better in snow and rain. The newer model is improved but lacks a cassette player that was previously included. Fuel economy is slightly less. I average 17mpg

Living Room On Wheels
By ClayMan on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate ride. You won't need antianxiety medication if you drive one of these. It's a totally relaxing experience - like riding in a very comfortable living room. I've put the 4MATIC to the test, and it survived unbelievably well. The keyless entry is something that all cars should have - very convenient.