Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Rolled The Dice - Bought High Mileage
By john77084

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

After turning 40 recently, I decided to properly kick-off my mid-life crisis. I was going to go with either a boat or a car. A 2004 S430 won. I found one with 114,000 miles on it on Autotrader. I suppose I got the "base" model 430, but it is absolutely remarkable. The suspension, coupled with the car's sheer size, makes for an airplane like ride (sport settings are also present). I've taken it on 2 long road trips and been in very good spirits after arriving. Tips for Buying Used: *Comparison shop! These cars depreciate wildly. I paid too much. Find the KBB price and stick with it. *Have a genuine STAR diagnostics ran. *Beware the "stuck in park" potential

Favorite Features

Hands-down, you cannot find a better ride. Other impressive features: well crafted leather interior, crystal clear audio system, silky smooth 7-speed tiptronic transmission, quiet cabin and power to spare on the highway. Some will complain about the cup holders and console (both are less than ideal). I don't believe the Germans intended for drivers to do a lot of eating or drinking in this car. A driver that's traveling at 130mph on the Autobahn needs to focus on driving. The carpeting in mine was stained and dirty when I picked it up. The carpet is so sturdy though, I was able to scrub almost all of the stains out. Same with the leather. With some elbow grease, it came out like new.

Suggested Improvements

As an already 8 year old car, the Comand stereo system is out of date. No auxiliary jacks for iPhone. It has a hidden cassette player and can hold 1 CD inside and 6 in the trunk. The display screen on mine has some dead pixels which aren't that big of a deal. In general, the dated stereo and nav system is something I don't have a huge problem dealing with. Overall, there is very little I can think of to improve.

Just bought this in Silver (S430 4Matic)
By johnmassaria

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I will be taking her home on Monday. The car has 29,000 miles on it and all I can say after all the crap my family has gone through for 7 years, this car is a blessing. My we enjoy it in good health and may the car always come though for us. So far it is crazy awesome. Previous cars I have owned new were: 1994 300ZX 2 seater with T-Tops, 2001 Audi A6Q 3.2 , 2006 Audi A6Q 3.2, 2009 BMW 328XI. This will be the first time I have bought a used vehicle in 18 years. So far so good, will follow up with real review as I drive it more.... :)

Favorite Features

The cockpit is simply awesome.... the stately drive.... unmistakably MB.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg maybe...

Everyone should own one
By Lionel

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

Purchased this car used with 55kms, it is now 7 years old and has 130kms. It continues to drive as well as it did 3 years ago and have not had any issues with it. Besides being smooth, comfortable, solid, reliable, powerful and surprisingly economical; it is has a sense of dependability and agelessness about it. It is a serious vehicle, you know, not a gimmicky in your face car,

Favorite Features

Smooth delivery of power and stability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is awful.

Excellent
By TeamWenz

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

There is a reason this is one of the best cars sold on the planet. Incredible luxury combined with decent economy. It just eats up the road. Just had it serviced at the dealership $220 in total. Not bad for 10,000 intervals.

Favorite Features

Driveline, the sound and power are unmatched

Suggested Improvements

none, the car is perfect

S500 2004
By Will

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had this car almost 2 years. No issues. S500 engine with 7 speed transmission is like silk with rocket take-offs when passing on highways. 20-24mpg on hwy / 18-20 avg combined. Mercedes has addressed quality issues which were apparent during the 1990's. I've had a 2000 E320 and the 2004 S500. Both cars have been issue - free and low maintenance while a pleasure to drive. Nice curb appeal was well for business.

Favorite Features

Ride, elegance, power, quiet, killer sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Newest SClass has already upgraded the interior, thus no issues to recommend.