Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Rolled The Dice - Bought High Mileage
By john77084

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

After turning 40 recently, I decided to properly kick-off my mid-life crisis. I was going to go with either a boat or a car. A 2004 S430 won. I found one with 114,000 miles on it on Autotrader. I suppose I got the "base" model 430, but it is absolutely remarkable. The suspension, coupled with the car's sheer size, makes for an airplane like ride (sport settings are also present). I've taken it on 2 long road trips and been in very good spirits after arriving. Tips for Buying Used: *Comparison shop! These cars depreciate wildly. I paid too much. Find the KBB price and stick with it. *Have a genuine STAR diagnostics ran. *Beware the "stuck in park" potential

Favorite Features

Hands-down, you cannot find a better ride. Other impressive features: well crafted leather interior, crystal clear audio system, silky smooth 7-speed tiptronic transmission, quiet cabin and power to spare on the highway. Some will complain about the cup holders and console (both are less than ideal). I don't believe the Germans intended for drivers to do a lot of eating or drinking in this car. A driver that's traveling at 130mph on the Autobahn needs to focus on driving. The carpeting in mine was stained and dirty when I picked it up. The carpet is so sturdy though, I was able to scrub almost all of the stains out. Same with the leather. With some elbow grease, it came out like new.

Suggested Improvements

As an already 8 year old car, the Comand stereo system is out of date. No auxiliary jacks for iPhone. It has a hidden cassette player and can hold 1 CD inside and 6 in the trunk. The display screen on mine has some dead pixels which aren't that big of a deal. In general, the dated stereo and nav system is something I don't have a huge problem dealing with. Overall, there is very little I can think of to improve.

Everyone should own one
By Lionel

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

Purchased this car used with 55kms, it is now 7 years old and has 130kms. It continues to drive as well as it did 3 years ago and have not had any issues with it. Besides being smooth, comfortable, solid, reliable, powerful and surprisingly economical; it is has a sense of dependability and agelessness about it. It is a serious vehicle, you know, not a gimmicky in your face car,

Favorite Features

Smooth delivery of power and stability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is awful.

Good value for a Great car
By Mirek

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

Drives very well for used car. Good mileage per gallon when carefully driven, or on highway. Good looks in gray. In sport setting transmission kicks at stops. Wiper not performing well at aouto setup - often too slow to react. Overall comfortable ride. Bit too high seatting position for driver. Once you learn all tech data it is very pleasant automobile.

Favorite Features

Leveling system. Possiblity to rise the car.

Suggested Improvements

Nav system could be a bit more user friendly

S430
By RPF96

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased this car in September 2004. I had C230 Kompressor Coupe 2002, which was a great car without any problems. After owning my first Benz I knew it would be the only vehicle I would purchase in the future. The car has a fantastic ride, great pick up and some really terrific features. If you are look for a classy car with superior workmanship, then this is the car for you. We had also owned a large sport utility but decided the larger Mercedes would be a better fit for us for ride as well as safety. I think the car is superior. Hands down one of the best rides on the road!

Favorite Features

I like the heating and cooling system in the seats and all the positions available. Really I enjoy all the features in the cabin of the car.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements would be a little more fuel efficient and if the rear lid on the trunk would open a bit higher on it's own.

the 2002 S class
By orlins

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

The Mercedes S is expensive. the lexus is a fine car, i have owned 3. the BMW is a different car, simply too much trouble to drive. harsh, not worth my effort. the Mercedes S is not perfect but not far from it. if you have the free bucks. I really love the big Mercedes for what it is, there are faster, better values, larger and smaller cars. However,if you can afford the ticket on the S and want the general best, buy the S. it does everything well you can find better on any one point, but the total is less then you get in the Mercedes S. the sum is unbeatable and in one move you can get all your neighbors to hate you. think of that.

Favorite Features

everything.

Suggested Improvements

make xenon lights standard.if you do not want a sun roof, why should you get it?