2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Rolled The Dice - Bought High Mileage
By john77084 on 08/17/12 08:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

After turning 40 recently, I decided to properly kick-off my mid-life crisis. I was going to go with either a boat or a car. A 2004 S430 won. I found one with 114,000 miles on it on Autotrader. I suppose I got the "base" model 430, but it is absolutely remarkable. The suspension, coupled with the car's sheer size, makes for an airplane like ride (sport settings are also present). I've taken it on 2 long road trips and been in very good spirits after arriving. Tips for Buying Used: *Comparison shop! These cars depreciate wildly. I paid too much. Find the KBB price and stick with it. *Have a genuine STAR diagnostics ran. *Beware the "stuck in park" potential

Just bought this in Silver (S430 4Matic)
By johnmassaria on 05/31/12 18:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I will be taking her home on Monday. The car has 29,000 miles on it and all I can say after all the crap my family has gone through for 7 years, this car is a blessing. My we enjoy it in good health and may the car always come though for us. So far it is crazy awesome. Previous cars I have owned new were: 1994 300ZX 2 seater with T-Tops, 2001 Audi A6Q 3.2 , 2006 Audi A6Q 3.2, 2009 BMW 328XI. This will be the first time I have bought a used vehicle in 18 years. So far so good, will follow up with real review as I drive it more.... :)

Everyone should own one
By Lionel on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

Purchased this car used with 55kms, it is now 7 years old and has 130kms. It continues to drive as well as it did 3 years ago and have not had any issues with it. Besides being smooth, comfortable, solid, reliable, powerful and surprisingly economical; it is has a sense of dependability and agelessness about it. It is a serious vehicle, you know, not a gimmicky in your face car,

Excellent
By TeamWenz on 09/22/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

There is a reason this is one of the best cars sold on the planet. Incredible luxury combined with decent economy. It just eats up the road. Just had it serviced at the dealership $220 in total. Not bad for 10,000 intervals.

S500 2004
By Will on 03/04/09 12:02 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had this car almost 2 years. No issues. S500 engine with 7 speed transmission is like silk with rocket take-offs when passing on highways. 20-24mpg on hwy / 18-20 avg combined. Mercedes has addressed quality issues which were apparent during the 1990's. I've had a 2000 E320 and the 2004 S500. Both cars have been issue - free and low maintenance while a pleasure to drive. Nice curb appeal was well for business.

Worst Car On The Road
By Peter The Great on 01/10/09 17:09 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've had the S430 4matic for nine months now and with only 31,000 miles on the odometer, I have been to the service department 31 times for various mechanical and electrical problems during that nine months. Merecedes has lost its glory, as a German national told me, pleople in Germany prefer Japanese Cars. After my last two Mercedes (both were defective), I'm giving Lexus a try, "Hello LS 460"

Good value for a Great car
By Mirek on 12/27/08 17:41 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 7A)

Drives very well for used car. Good mileage per gallon when carefully driven, or on highway. Good looks in gray. In sport setting transmission kicks at stops. Wiper not performing well at aouto setup - often too slow to react. Overall comfortable ride. Bit too high seatting position for driver. Once you learn all tech data it is very pleasant automobile.

Cool but unreliable ride
By Joe Huflin on 09/06/08 13:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This car has all you would expect for it's money, and then the roof rattles some, the tire pressure monitors keep tripping and failing, the battery is flat after a 2 week business trip. Should not happen for this kind of money. No space for a cell phone, cupholders are a joke, and you forget all that when you hit the throttle and slide over the freeways, but then it all comes back at a traffice light. Great ride, classy car, but I am cured for life trying to put money on the table to buy such a set of wheels new, ever. I am soar but still OK, will enjoy it a few months more, but never buy this car new. What a shame for a handmade Mercedes, I lost a lot of faith in MB.

Engineering excellence?
By tomel on 05/25/08 04:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great car, bought used with 30k miles; strong engine, truly quiet, smooth, amazing ride. But, MB, masters of engineering, why oh why? The black temp adjust clip on rear passenger ventilation is missing. Can't replace $40 clip. You must replace $700 unit (before labor)! That's engineering excellence? Think you forgot who you're engineering for. I fear for the next minor flaw. Also, cupholder is a bust and console space is nill. Love the car overall, but I marvel that a car originally selling for six figures forgets some basics.

2004 S600 Bi-Turbo
By bmwerz on 01/25/07 22:24 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

It's a great car, very powerful engine. I beat a Porsche 911 Carrera 4 with this car. My car has all the options available plus some more upgrades, so it's a really nice car.