Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Most Helpful|
love it
By atheavenly

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

very pleased exchanged my e class for the s class

Favorite Features

body style , and the great suspension

Straight Line Speed and Comfort
By S600 Owner

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned the car for about a month now and I am no sure I still love it. The straight line speed is second to none, I have driven ferraris that won't throw you back in your seat like this does. Being able to spin the rear-wheel at any speed under 50mph is incredible. Burnouts are as simple as turning off traction control and giving half throttle. However, the handling does not compare to the BMW 760Li I own. The understeer is so overwhelming it is almost dangerous, you are stunned the first time you take an off ramp at 50 and the tires begin to squeal yet the car keeps traveling in the same direction-scary. Also, driving in the rain is asking for trouble, traction control MUST stay on.

Favorite Features

Power from the TTV12, Comfort Wow-Factore Stares (White exterior) straight line performance

Suggested Improvements

Handling - the amount of understeer is making me consider selling the car (2,000 miles on tires). If you are looking for speed and comfort as long as recognition this car is for you. But if you are looking for a sports car-better be ok with "just" drag races

S55 AMG
By JAY RAY 916

UNBELIEVABLE, NO ROAD NOISE SMOOTH SHIFTING AND PURE POWER AND HANDLING

Maybe the Best Sedan in the World
By enw

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This is an amazing automobile. With almost 500HP, a fast shifting transmission (with 3 ways to shift - full auto, tiptronic or steering wheel paddles) and excellent handling, the performance is truly outstanding. It's not as much fun to drive as my Porsche. It is, afterall, a sedan, but it's the best sedan I've ever driven. Despite the build quality problems that Mercedes has experienced in the recent past, none of it seems to pop up in the AMG cars. Perhaps the AMG cars get more TLC. The list of standard features is long and luxurious. One of the best is the drive dynamic seats. The side bolsters inflate/deflate in response to lateral G's. Great fun! Expensive, but worth it.

Favorite Features

Drive dynamic seats. 3-ways to shift the transmission. Navigation. Air conditioned seats, memory seats. Steering wheel and mirrors, electric folding mirrors. Command system. Xenon headlights. The great AMG brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Move CD changer from the trunk to the dash. Place line select keys on the navigation display. Larger gas tank.

This car has everything! Performance/Styling/ Comfortable
By jkhlok

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned many fun cars to drive such as the BMW M3 M5 and M6. I have also owned a modified BMW 335i and Volvo S60R. I have a 1 year old son so I wanted something that could COMFORTABLY fit my family in the vehicle but also something I could take out to car shows and car events. If you haven't sat in the back of a W220 you should try it. PLENTY of leg room in the back seat. The car delivers plenty of power for everyday driving! Over 500lbs of tq and almost 500hp from the factory. What more would you ask for?

Favorite Features

My favorite features of the car are the Dynamic Mode where the seats will grab you when you are make a turn or when you hit a certain mph and the pulse feature which is where the seat will massage your back/sides.