Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

2003 S500
By FRANK

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle. has power style and ride. I get 24 miles/gal highway. Not good in snow. Other than regular oil change very little maintenance cost. Excellent sound and heating system. Handles well.

Excellent ride and acceleration. Great gas mileage for type of car

Plastic front splash panel too low. Sometimes scrapes

Still needs improvement
By docstevew

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I believe Mercedes still has a lot of room to improve on their "high end" car. It was always my dream to own a "Big Mercedes" for the style, luxury, and comfort. I find it to be satisfying with the car, but disappointed with the lack of attention to the details. This car always had some minor electrical problems (turning lights,ets) that the dealer can never seem to figure it out. Navigation system needs major improvement (with touch screen). Nevertheless, I like the style and smooth acceleration of its fine motor. It's like a dream come true, but not quite perfect.

Folding mirrors, airomatic doors and trunk locking system, rear shade.

For the price we paid, it definitely needs a better Nav system (touch screen system with a bigger screen)

A truly great automobile
By Rodney S. Cain

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 4th new Mercedes. I have had diesel and gas models, I have had the SL models, and S models. They are a pleasure to own and to drive. Very reliable, and with their weight and ample power they make all roads,hills,and curves seem like an expressway. Best money I have ever spent on cars. Regardless of age, mileage, or type, I have enjoyed the car. Never got out of one and felt that I was tired of the drive. I oft times take it for a drive, just for the pleasure of driving it.

I now have the Mercedes map system in the car. Dont even own a map. Type in the address and it tells me every turn, and in ample time to respond to its directional command. I do appreciate the fact that Mercedes doesnt sell you this years car, then make next years model look so different.

This guys are "way ahead of me". Keep buildin' em, and I'll keep buy'en them.

The only one
By svisquerra1

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Heavy rain on New Yersey tpk, and no traffic, so perfect, it handles good, never drive a better car, love it!!!!

navigational system, and road handles so good

none

Good But Not Great
By Reasonable Man

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

S500 Sport. Forearms will grow because it takes real strength to guide car thru turns at low end. Best enjoyed at over 60 mph. Awesome acceleration at high end. Beautiful but uninspiring driver around town. Needs to be quicker. Plush interior, cavernous backseat. Nav system is not intuitive. Average sound system.

Gorgeous exterior. Telephone system is a business person's dream. Comfortable and spacious.

Increase assisted steering at low end. Upgrade sound system. New Nav. Eliminate plastic foundations for front seats.