Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

I miss my BMW 750iL
By motts71

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I miss the quick warm ups, the handling, and the performance of my BMW. The Mercedes rear window defroster works very slowly, the car takes a long time to warm up. It is strictly a luxury car. I do like the fact that it has had fewer trips to the dealer than the BMW, but it is not as enjoyable to drive. Oh yes, the windshield washer tank keeps leaking so I always have a malfunction showing on the dash, and when that shows, you cannot access the other features of the car's computer.

Favorite Features

It feels quality for the most part.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more get up and go, better handling in the sweeping bends of the highway.

Superb Luxury Car - Feel like a King!
By Dr. Warren Bruhl

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this 2003 Mercedes S430 with 4matic and I was pleasantly surprised how well it handles the harsh winter snows with ample reliability and confidence. The luxury interior is wonderful and it garners great respect even from my 14 year old daughter. I love the way it feels to drive this car and I have been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. Driving this car makes me feel secure and confident. It is a truly an executive car driving experience.

Favorite Features

Black with Java interior. Seats with multiple positions of comfort, sound sytem, interior leg room and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Make the GPS system a true GPS system. Improved interior quality even though the interior is ample in quality - could be improved some.

2003 S430 4matic - Lorinser Package
By Palm Desert

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This was my dream car since 2000. At the price starting at $80K, I thought it would just remain a dream. I was blessed to have this used 2003 S430 this 12/2007. Its everything I expect it to be and more. Real quality & luxury.

Favorite Features

Very roomy, GPS, ESP, door & trunk assist. Airmatic car lift, 3-level suspension gadgets, gadgets and more

Suggested Improvements

Make Parktronic standard

Luxury no verve, but kudos in the snow
By Daniel W.

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The car is heavy, very heavy and the drive lags with the 4.3 liter V8. The interior luxury appointments are what you would expect from an S-Class, top notch, especially the optional Bose entertainment system. Particularly impressive is the car's handling and poise in the snow. Three inches of fresh powder could do nothing the upset or throw off the ride, and the car tracks as well in the snow as it does on dry pavement. The optional airmatic suspension does well to firm up the ride and limit body roll on the first of the two settings, but the sport setting provides a rude ride not fit for even the liveliest drivers. I would recommend the S500 4m, or for more sport and fun a 7 series BMW.

Favorite Features

Airmatic suspension is wonderful on 1st of two firm settings for driving, and the normal setting provides legendary mercedes benz comfort. however, it still cant capture the uncanny balance of my previous 740IL. The 4 matic is beyond expectation in the snow/ice.

Suggested Improvements

Lacks power for the weight of the vehicle. Much needed power increase in 2004. Opt for the s500, or dont expect to dominate on ramps or the left lane. Fuel economy suffers as a result of the engine having to work so hard. Reliability is a huge problem. 3 visits minimum per year to the dealer.

love it
By atheavenly

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

very pleased exchanged my e class for the s class

Favorite Features

body style , and the great suspension