Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Straight Line Speed and Comfort
By S600 Owner

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned the car for about a month now and I am no sure I still love it. The straight line speed is second to none, I have driven ferraris that won't throw you back in your seat like this does. Being able to spin the rear-wheel at any speed under 50mph is incredible. Burnouts are as simple as turning off traction control and giving half throttle. However, the handling does not compare to the BMW 760Li I own. The understeer is so overwhelming it is almost dangerous, you are stunned the first time you take an off ramp at 50 and the tires begin to squeal yet the car keeps traveling in the same direction-scary. Also, driving in the rain is asking for trouble, traction control MUST stay on.

Favorite Features

Power from the TTV12, Comfort Wow-Factore Stares (White exterior) straight line performance

Suggested Improvements

Handling - the amount of understeer is making me consider selling the car (2,000 miles on tires). If you are looking for speed and comfort as long as recognition this car is for you. But if you are looking for a sports car-better be ok with "just" drag races

S600 SuperCar
By San Jose MBZ

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

If you're looking for a large Sedan that is fun to drive, this is it! The torque is nothing less than incredible! This is not a sports car, it's a big sedan that goes 0-60 about as fast as a Ferrari. Seats are extremely comfortable. Much more so than my wife's CL500 upgraded seats. The "Keyless Go" has failed 4 times in 1.5 years. Everything else is superb. If possible, get this model over the S500. You won't be sorry. A great understated car!

Favorite Features

Auto trunk opener & closer. Voice activated phone system.

Suggested Improvements

The "Keyless Go" has been improved. It's now all in the key.

best vehical purchace of my life
By rsb

amazing speed and power, almost as fast (0-100) as my ferrari 2000 360 spyder

Suggested Improvements

none

Best so far...
By carlover14

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third S-Class, and it is the best one to date. The materials are much improved over the previous generation and now having been with the COMAND system for 3 years, it has become intuitive. The ride is incredible and all the electronics (albeit somewhat worrying me reliability wise) have been working flawlessly and easily. If MB keeps building them like this, a Mercedes is all I'll have until I die.

Favorite Features

seats, new dash layout, interior room, trunk space, electronics, new high quality materials, elegant design

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the old CD/DVD based nav system, the current system becomes combersome on long trips

Black Beauty
By spanishteacher

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Traded in my much loved 2002 S55 AMG for a 2003 S600. It is much improved, especially the dash design and the nav system. I was on a waiting list for 10 months. It was worth the wait! Looks great in the teacher's parking lot at the school where I teach.

Favorite Features

Looks and Bi-xenon. Interior is nearly flawless!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the storage bins under the front seats. Side mirrors are to small.