2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Farewell to all that
By Jersey guy on 04/02/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Owned the car for 3 yrs, bought used at 38,500 mi. Beautifully styled exterior and luxurious, comfy interior -- wonderful to look at and to ride in. However, I have never owned a more problematic Benz (this is my fifth). Most of the issues were electronic defects, most notably gear shift that jammed in "P" because of defective sensor, which took dealer months to figure out; A/C sensor needed replacement after a few yrs; the V-belt broke apart on the highway, causing loss of power; front-end vibration required new engine mount; air suspens. struts replaced; CD remote multi-changer stopped working -- and more. I bid farewell to the car today, more in sorrow than in anger.

Sleek, powerful, problematic
By Lawman on 07/15/08 06:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Benz, but first S-class. The car is beautifully designed and well-appointed. Handling is excellent, comfort is superb. It is one of the greatest highway touring machines ever made. At the same time, there have been irksome quality issues. I have had the car about one year, and in that time have endured five major (and costly) problems. A sensor malfunctioned in the trunk, effectively immobilizing the car. The gear shift assembly jammed in park and had to be replaced. The air seal struts developed a leak and had to be sealed. The V-belt broke during a highway drive, lost all power and the engine promptly overheated. Disappointing. Fuel economy is good, 26 highway.

A best buy
By The Young Looker on 05/02/08 01:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Definetely a real good deal when buying used ( low mileage ). Besides the car's still a real good looker, the 2003 430 can provide exceptional comfort, nothing a car of it's age can. Performance is not significant, however is not underpowered. Those who desires performance might go with the 500 or the twin turbocharged 600. Watch for driver's side electronic seat, it might be disfunctional due to aging. Others, are exceptional

1st time
By WE-R-1 on 07/17/07 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

An outstanding auto on the open road. Eye catching vehicle with a smooth and quiet ride, handles well, plenty of cabin room. Been in shop 4 times for power assist problems with trunk (on last trip, power assist doors went on blink as well). Scheduling another appointment- this time trunk will only open with valet key. Noisy front seats remedied after 3rd try with replacement of plastic seat guides. Cup holder design poor. Navigation system- too many key strokes and street info on CD is paltry. Still love the vehicle, but frustrated by the mutiple vists to repair items that I would not expect on a vehicle with less than 32000 miles- let alone a MB.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By john on 02/21/07 12:22 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car 6 months ago and have not had any major complaints so far. The interior is very comfortable and the fact that it comes standard with navigation, leather, and heated front seats was a huge bonus. It handles very well, and even though it is rear wheel drive, it has shown to be pretty reliable in the snow. Definitly a "looker". The only thing that I dont like is the occasional knocks and bump that I hear in the doors and ceiling. That happens on all cars but I didn't expect it from this one. And the brakes create excessive brake dust and cause a high pitched sceech when applying the brakes. It's always fixed but still a nuisance.

s430
By DoubleT on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a 2001 LS430 for the S430. The Lexus was a little too pretty, could not corner and terribly boring to drive. The S430 now has 18000 miles on it, no visits to the dealer except for one oil change. It drives like a BMW with the quality of the Lexus.

Only The Best, Will Do!
By aflame on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Why didn't I drive this car before? My wife took our first test drive, riding in the back seat. Her opinion, "I have never paid much attention to cars, before. This is the only car I have ever really wanted!" If you drive this car, you won’t be able to enjoy any other automobile. You can have the S500, and other models. Our S430 frequently gets over 29 mpg, on trips, and 22-25 in city driving. Specifically, I got 29.4 mpg, driving from Memphis to Cincinnati. I have driven my 1990 Miata over 70,000 miles; yes, I still have it; and, yes, I'll keep it till I die; however, the S Class takes the same turns, almost as fast as the Miata; and, it doesn't lean as much.

Nice Car
By Charl on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

roomy, quite, strong, confortable

my 21st century cadillac fleetwood
By xchicagoan on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

i purchased this car to replace a 1997 e-320 with 107,000 miles. what an improvement over a great car. the s- class literally floats on the road but with a good feel of the road at the same time. and to be honest, it is prestigious, which is why i call it my 21st century cadillac fleetwood, the car i always wanted when i was much younger a long time ago. furthermore, they price was discounted!!

Too many problems for 80k car
By Doug Long on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Our car has been in the shop way too much for a car of this price. We are at 60000 now and have real problems. Will trade out in the near future...maybe a lexus