Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Mercedes= quality- Not anymore sadly
By budrow2

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I always wanted a S600 Bi turbo but the 130K price it wasn't in the cards. So I oped for a 10 + year old model (2003) with about 90k miles for about $10,000. I have owned a E420 and C280 both very good vehicles and lasted well into the 250K mileage range. Unfortunately the S600 is not well built at all. I will start with the interior: Drives side door window regulator broke lose from the door itself, cheap rivets holding it on. RR passenger door lock not working. Hood & trunk struts wore out. Rear trunk assist pump failed. Exterior/mechanical issue; ABC system not working, bad accumulators and valve block, coil pack right side failed, valve covers leak, transmission conductor bad.

Speed and acceleration, horsepower

I honestly think there are too many problems and I wouldn't know where to start. Basically the problem is with the quality of many of the major parts. You can not depend on this car on a daily basis. I would have listed more issues but the review limited me to the above.

Straight Line Speed and Comfort
By S600 Owner

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned the car for about a month now and I am no sure I still love it. The straight line speed is second to none, I have driven ferraris that won't throw you back in your seat like this does. Being able to spin the rear-wheel at any speed under 50mph is incredible. Burnouts are as simple as turning off traction control and giving half throttle. However, the handling does not compare to the BMW 760Li I own. The understeer is so overwhelming it is almost dangerous, you are stunned the first time you take an off ramp at 50 and the tires begin to squeal yet the car keeps traveling in the same direction-scary. Also, driving in the rain is asking for trouble, traction control MUST stay on.

Power from the TTV12, Comfort Wow-Factore Stares (White exterior) straight line performance

Handling - the amount of understeer is making me consider selling the car (2,000 miles on tires). If you are looking for speed and comfort as long as recognition this car is for you. But if you are looking for a sports car-better be ok with "just" drag races

S600 SuperCar
By San Jose MBZ

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

If you're looking for a large Sedan that is fun to drive, this is it! The torque is nothing less than incredible! This is not a sports car, it's a big sedan that goes 0-60 about as fast as a Ferrari. Seats are extremely comfortable. Much more so than my wife's CL500 upgraded seats. The "Keyless Go" has failed 4 times in 1.5 years. Everything else is superb. If possible, get this model over the S500. You won't be sorry. A great understated car!

Auto trunk opener & closer. Voice activated phone system.

The "Keyless Go" has been improved. It's now all in the key.

best vehical purchace of my life
By rsb

amazing speed and power, almost as fast (0-100) as my ferrari 2000 360 spyder

none

Best so far...
By carlover14

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third S-Class, and it is the best one to date. The materials are much improved over the previous generation and now having been with the COMAND system for 3 years, it has become intuitive. The ride is incredible and all the electronics (albeit somewhat worrying me reliability wise) have been working flawlessly and easily. If MB keeps building them like this, a Mercedes is all I'll have until I die.

seats, new dash layout, interior room, trunk space, electronics, new high quality materials, elegant design

get rid of the old CD/DVD based nav system, the current system becomes combersome on long trips