2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
I miss my BMW 750iL
By motts71 on 12/21/11 16:51 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I miss the quick warm ups, the handling, and the performance of my BMW. The Mercedes rear window defroster works very slowly, the car takes a long time to warm up. It is strictly a luxury car. I do like the fact that it has had fewer trips to the dealer than the BMW, but it is not as enjoyable to drive. Oh yes, the windshield washer tank keeps leaking so I always have a malfunction showing on the dash, and when that shows, you cannot access the other features of the car's computer.

Dream Car (almost)
By EZ MIKE 420 on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have loved my S55 for 5 years! Perfect combo of ultra-luxury and high-end performance. I was lucky to get the car with a Starmark warranty, which covers the car for 7 yrs/100K miles - The car has had close to $10K in warranty work since the standard warranty expired. This is a VERY expensive car to maintain - the AMG parts are much more expensive than the S500 parts and many dealership service departments don't have the know-how to fix these cars properly. I found a dealership that kept mine running quite well. I will probably sell mine before the warranty expires to avoid the high cost of maintenance. It will be a sad day when I hand off the keys. It's been a GREAT car!

Farewell to all that
By Jersey guy on 04/02/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Owned the car for 3 yrs, bought used at 38,500 mi. Beautifully styled exterior and luxurious, comfy interior -- wonderful to look at and to ride in. However, I have never owned a more problematic Benz (this is my fifth). Most of the issues were electronic defects, most notably gear shift that jammed in "P" because of defective sensor, which took dealer months to figure out; A/C sensor needed replacement after a few yrs; the V-belt broke apart on the highway, causing loss of power; front-end vibration required new engine mount; air suspens. struts replaced; CD remote multi-changer stopped working -- and more. I bid farewell to the car today, more in sorrow than in anger.

Straight Line Speed and Comfort
By S600 Owner on 10/15/09 20:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Have owned the car for about a month now and I am no sure I still love it. The straight line speed is second to none, I have driven ferraris that won't throw you back in your seat like this does. Being able to spin the rear-wheel at any speed under 50mph is incredible. Burnouts are as simple as turning off traction control and giving half throttle. However, the handling does not compare to the BMW 760Li I own. The understeer is so overwhelming it is almost dangerous, you are stunned the first time you take an off ramp at 50 and the tires begin to squeal yet the car keeps traveling in the same direction-scary. Also, driving in the rain is asking for trouble, traction control MUST stay on.

2003 S500
By FRANK on 12/01/08 09:01 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle. has power style and ride. I get 24 miles/gal highway. Not good in snow. Other than regular oil change very little maintenance cost. Excellent sound and heating system. Handles well.

Sleek, powerful, problematic
By Lawman on 07/15/08 06:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Benz, but first S-class. The car is beautifully designed and well-appointed. Handling is excellent, comfort is superb. It is one of the greatest highway touring machines ever made. At the same time, there have been irksome quality issues. I have had the car about one year, and in that time have endured five major (and costly) problems. A sensor malfunctioned in the trunk, effectively immobilizing the car. The gear shift assembly jammed in park and had to be replaced. The air seal struts developed a leak and had to be sealed. The V-belt broke during a highway drive, lost all power and the engine promptly overheated. Disappointing. Fuel economy is good, 26 highway.

A best buy
By The Young Looker on 05/02/08 01:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Definetely a real good deal when buying used ( low mileage ). Besides the car's still a real good looker, the 2003 430 can provide exceptional comfort, nothing a car of it's age can. Performance is not significant, however is not underpowered. Those who desires performance might go with the 500 or the twin turbocharged 600. Watch for driver's side electronic seat, it might be disfunctional due to aging. Others, are exceptional

Superb Luxury Car - Feel like a King!
By Dr. Warren Bruhl on 02/16/08 17:29 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this 2003 Mercedes S430 with 4matic and I was pleasantly surprised how well it handles the harsh winter snows with ample reliability and confidence. The luxury interior is wonderful and it garners great respect even from my 14 year old daughter. I love the way it feels to drive this car and I have been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. Driving this car makes me feel secure and confident. It is a truly an executive car driving experience.

2003 S430 4matic - Lorinser Package
By Palm Desert on 02/11/08 14:21 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This was my dream car since 2000. At the price starting at $80K, I thought it would just remain a dream. I was blessed to have this used 2003 S430 this 12/2007. Its everything I expect it to be and more. Real quality & luxury.

1st time
By WE-R-1 on 07/17/07 19:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

An outstanding auto on the open road. Eye catching vehicle with a smooth and quiet ride, handles well, plenty of cabin room. Been in shop 4 times for power assist problems with trunk (on last trip, power assist doors went on blink as well). Scheduling another appointment- this time trunk will only open with valet key. Noisy front seats remedied after 3rd try with replacement of plastic seat guides. Cup holder design poor. Navigation system- too many key strokes and street info on CD is paltry. Still love the vehicle, but frustrated by the mutiple vists to repair items that I would not expect on a vehicle with less than 32000 miles- let alone a MB.