Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

why theres is no recall on 2003 mercedes
By kishor baran

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I was driving on freeway and front body went to ground almost 90persent 2003 Mercedes s500 have same problem and dealer should fix this problem

2003 S430 purchased 2006; good overall value
By Chris Hudson

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this car a routine number of miles (in my case about 130,000 mi over 10 years), the residual value of around $2000 in casual-sale value is very thin for what the value actually represents. No news flash here: at that valuation, the car is of far more use and value to me than a sale could bring and I will maintain and hold it so long as that is true.

Mercedes= quality- Not anymore sadly
By budrow2

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I always wanted a S600 Bi turbo but the 130K price it wasn't in the cards. So I oped for a 10 + year old model (2003) with about 90k miles for about $10,000. I have owned a E420 and C280 both very good vehicles and lasted well into the 250K mileage range.
Unfortunately the S600 is not well built at all. I will start with the interior: Drives side door window regulator broke lose from the door itself, cheap rivets holding it on. RR passenger door lock not working. Hood & trunk struts wore out. Rear trunk assist pump failed.
Exterior/mechanical issue; ABC system not working, bad accumulators and valve block, coil pack right side failed, valve covers leak, transmission conductor bad.

Speed and acceleration, horsepower

I honestly think there are too many problems and I wouldn't know where to start. Basically the problem is with the quality of many of the major parts. You can not depend on this car on a daily basis. I would have listed more issues but the review limited me to the above.

This car has everything! Performance/Styling/ Comfortable
By jkhlok

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned many fun cars to drive such as the BMW M3 M5 and M6. I have also owned a modified BMW 335i and Volvo S60R. I have a 1 year old son so I wanted something that could COMFORTABLY fit my family in the vehicle but also something I could take out to car shows and car events. If you haven't sat in the back of a W220 you should try it. PLENTY of leg room in the back seat. The car delivers plenty of power for everyday driving! Over 500lbs of tq and almost 500hp from the factory. What more would you ask for?

My favorite features of the car are the Dynamic Mode where the seats will grab you when you are make a turn or when you hit a certain mph and the pulse feature which is where the seat will massage your back/sides.

I miss my BMW 750iL
By motts71

2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I miss the quick warm ups, the handling, and the performance of my BMW.
The Mercedes rear window defroster works very slowly, the car takes a long time to warm up.
It is strictly a luxury car.
I do like the fact that it has had fewer trips to the dealer than the BMW, but it is not as enjoyable to drive. Oh yes, the windshield washer tank keeps leaking so I always have a malfunction showing on the dash, and when that shows, you cannot access the other features of the car's computer.

It feels quality for the most part.

Needs more get up and go, better handling in the sweeping bends of the highway.