2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Review: Balanced perspective

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Review

Balanced perspective
By mcantwell on

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2002 S430 in November of 2012. It was $11,000. I immediately had an issue with the air suspension which leaked and I had Peter, a local mechanic (SilverStar Motors) who specialized in Mercedes fix it. He is much more reasonable than the dealership but the repair was $1400. He warned me the car has a history of expensive issues. I replaced the tires with ContiPro fro $600. I did not have any additional issues until recently it was side-swiped on the street and the driver mirror was tore off. The parts alone are over $1000 and I'm looking at 1300-$1,500 with labor and paint. To pile on my check engine light came on and the car has a bit of a shake and rough idle. We will see.

It looks great. Drive and accelleration generally no problems.

Not happy about rust. I think this is coimmon with this model as is the air suspension problems. Overall for an old car it drives well, I just hope to keep the $1,000s in repairs manageable.
By joebeason
on 11/20/15 11:36 AM (PST)

Buy Arnott Air suspension parts they work great and are better than the original mercedes parts that came on the car! I have replace 3 of the air shocks with arnott and has had not problems! The Arnotts shocks are $400-$600. Saved a ton of money.