Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Great car,terrible dealer service
By johnlo

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second S-class. As with my first , I cannot find a better vehicle. Considering that this car costs over $80,000 to buy, the dealer support is unsatisfactory. I have tried two dealers in my area and I find that their Service Departments have no clue as to customer service.One department misplaced my vehicle for one hour at time of pickup, but did not complete the repairs- they did not tell me- I had to read the work order. The other dealer was to call me when a part came in and never did. One month later , I went to their parts department and purchased the item which I installed myself.

This car always looks great and the handling is superb.

Mercedes should send their Dealers to school to learn about customer service. I suggest that as a starting point that they buy the cheapest model Acura and Lexus and bring them in for regular service.

My sad experience with my S600!
By VML

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S600 4dr Sedan (5.8L 12cyl 5A)

The air conditioning had to be replaced 5 months after I bought it. The entire dashboard went out (i.e. no speedometer, no dash lights, no signal indicator lights). The engine kept running AFTER the car was turned off and the key taken out of the ignition. The hydraulic system failed leaving the car sitting 6" from the ground. Replaced battery twice in 30 months. GPS is archaic - not user friendly and half the addresses are not in the system. Have to buy add'l CD-ROMs to go all over the U.S. The mobile phone with the car is not digital and the dealer said it will cost $1,100 to upgrade to a digital phone.

Spacious interior Rides beautifully Great acceleration

This car is always in the shop - even though the problems have all been fixed under warranty, the S600 needs to be more reliable. In addition, Mercedes needs to adopt the same GPS system that Lexus has and not charge extra for something that's standard with Lexus.

Incredible
By banker

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

All the comforts of a Mercedes with the speed of a corvette (and then some). Still having and hard time believing that much power in a Mercedes.

Power

Navigation system not as advanced as other vehicles.

GREAT CAR
By DOMINIC

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I TRADED IN A 95 S320 WHICH WAS BULLET PROOF THIS NEW CAR IS GREAT .HOW EVER NOT AS BULLET PROFF AS MY 95 WAS .I BOUGHT THIS NEW IN NOV. 2002 IT HAS ONLY NEEDED OIL CHANGES .I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL .

STYLE

TOO MUCH PLASTIC ON BUMPERS AND OUTSIDE TRIM

best sedan ever made
By nimrod

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

best sedan ever made