Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Mercedes really messed up!
By berncurio21

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

All throughout my life, my family has only owned MB cars. I grew up around them so I know about their great ride, fantastic style and reliability. My first car was a C230 and I got an SLK after that. I traded in for a 2002 S500 sports package and it was the biggest mistake. four days after I drove it out the lot, the air suspension dropped so the car was sitting on its tires and had to be towed and the repair alone cost $1400. After that repair, the brakes had to be replaced for another $900, two weeks after, my HID headlamps went out which costs another 500 bucks. In addition, the alternator started to act up at 70k miles and costs $900 to replace. The biggest disappointment!

Favorite Features

Great engine. High speed handling. Ride quality. Prestige and class. Sexy exterior look, fantastic leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. I don't intend to pay so much money for a Chrysler!

Mercedes Critic
By Walter Haynie

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 S500 for my wife as a Christmas present. She just loves the vehicle, apperance, handling, and quality of the vehicle. We compared other brands the were 4-5 years old and the quality just did not compare to like new look of the Mercedes quality. My wife constantly comments on how she loves driving "her" Mercedes. This is probably the best thing that I could have done for my wife, (and myself ha,ha) The Mercedes makes her feel better about herself and gives her confidence with the prestige of the Mercedes Benz name. We even purchased a Dog and named her Mercedes Ashley Haynie, what could be better? Loving life with Mercedes Benz and being a proud owner of the S500.

Favorite Features

Smooth,quiet,exhilrating feeling of driving. Comfortable quality interior, the body fit of doors, hood, etc. Quick pick up and feeling of the transmission shift on heavy acceleration, great!Paint quality exceptionable, leather interior, handling characteristics all make it a wonderful vehicle to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service at the dealerships, the product is great. I feel at times the consultants are their own worst enemy. Most of the issues or concerns are with product knowledge, customer error on how the accessories work, navi, teleaid,phones, distronics, etc.

Great car,terrible dealer service
By johnlo

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second S-class. As with my first , I cannot find a better vehicle. Considering that this car costs over $80,000 to buy, the dealer support is unsatisfactory. I have tried two dealers in my area and I find that their Service Departments have no clue as to customer service.One department misplaced my vehicle for one hour at time of pickup, but did not complete the repairs- they did not tell me- I had to read the work order. The other dealer was to call me when a part came in and never did. One month later , I went to their parts department and purchased the item which I installed myself.

Favorite Features

This car always looks great and the handling is superb.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes should send their Dealers to school to learn about customer service. I suggest that as a starting point that they buy the cheapest model Acura and Lexus and bring them in for regular service.

Gliding in comfort
By fredkimka

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Consumer Reports says this is the best riding car they have ever tested and they are absolutely correct. It is a pleasure to drive and shines on long trips. Despite a few reports of quality or reliability concerns, my vehicle has been 100% trouble free. I've had it nearly a year and it has never needed service.

Favorite Features

The ride and handling for a fairly large car are simply outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

The Command System/Navigation could be a lot easier to use. Mercedes installed a much better system starting in 2003.

2002 S 500
By drsayad

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

A well built car that drives much very smooth and yet powerful

Favorite Features

sophisticated suspension system. Very good handling for a car this size.

Suggested Improvements

Direct Customer support from Mercedes Benz is NON-EXISTANT. Dealer unprofessionalism for a car of this caliber is SAD. I never feel that way when I take my BMW M5 or Lexus GS430 for service