2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Mercedes really messed up!
By berncurio21 on 06/26/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

All throughout my life, my family has only owned MB cars. I grew up around them so I know about their great ride, fantastic style and reliability. My first car was a C230 and I got an SLK after that. I traded in for a 2002 S500 sports package and it was the biggest mistake. four days after I drove it out the lot, the air suspension dropped so the car was sitting on its tires and had to be towed and the repair alone cost $1400. After that repair, the brakes had to be replaced for another $900, two weeks after, my HID headlamps went out which costs another 500 bucks. In addition, the alternator started to act up at 70k miles and costs $900 to replace. The biggest disappointment!

Mercedes Critic
By Walter Haynie on 11/21/06 08:36 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 S500 for my wife as a Christmas present. She just loves the vehicle, apperance, handling, and quality of the vehicle. We compared other brands the were 4-5 years old and the quality just did not compare to like new look of the Mercedes quality. My wife constantly comments on how she loves driving "her" Mercedes. This is probably the best thing that I could have done for my wife, (and myself ha,ha) The Mercedes makes her feel better about herself and gives her confidence with the prestige of the Mercedes Benz name. We even purchased a Dog and named her Mercedes Ashley Haynie, what could be better? Loving life with Mercedes Benz and being a proud owner of the S500.

Great car,terrible dealer service
By johnlo on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second S-class. As with my first , I cannot find a better vehicle. Considering that this car costs over $80,000 to buy, the dealer support is unsatisfactory. I have tried two dealers in my area and I find that their Service Departments have no clue as to customer service.One department misplaced my vehicle for one hour at time of pickup, but did not complete the repairs- they did not tell me- I had to read the work order. The other dealer was to call me when a part came in and never did. One month later , I went to their parts department and purchased the item which I installed myself.

Gliding in comfort
By fredkimka on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Consumer Reports says this is the best riding car they have ever tested and they are absolutely correct. It is a pleasure to drive and shines on long trips. Despite a few reports of quality or reliability concerns, my vehicle has been 100% trouble free. I've had it nearly a year and it has never needed service.

2002 S 500
By drsayad on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

A well built car that drives much very smooth and yet powerful

Great vehicle....But
By Tabasco on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehile however here are my objections: NO Pass-through for skis. In this day and age there should be a pass through the rearácenter arm rest for skis or golf clubs etc. There should NOT be an up charge on the 500 series for rear seat heaters. When you pay more than $80,000 for a car the rearáseat heaters should be included. Needs one DVD for navigation są▀tem not 7 cd's

Some-Cheap feeling to it...!!!
By moeaboelela on 12/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

From a previous owner of S500 (1997), it feels like I am driving an old 740IL, they went cheap on the plastic as well as the wood. Doors are lighter and smaller back seatů

Sedan with great handling
By alandasaft on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

is the best handling sedan ever drive, especially when driving with a stiffer suspension and change gear manually. However, the sitting positions are not as pleasant as previous model.

WAIT FOR NEXT YEARS MODEL!!!!
By HLee on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Definitally wait for next years (2003 S500). They are going to redesign the horrible COMMAND system, and upgrade the materials in the cabin. There are too many flimbsy plastics for a car like a S500. Power is pretty comparable to an LS430 or Q45.

SUPERB
By krueger on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I own S500 with Sport Package for about a year now and has been enjoying it every time I get a chance to use it. The car is a leader in it's class. It's looks much better than LS430 and obviously much better than 745i. LS430 is just a regular great looking car but S500 with sport is a winner by far (add to it custom mb wheels and it's look will knock you down). I have no mechanical problems and performance is superb. Maybe Command is too complicated but S500 catches up with luxury, comfort and performance.