2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Straight talk on heavy repair costs
By reality_chek on 07/22/13 20:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The bargain price of today hides expensive repairs. It has design flaws: cup holders, knee hits seat warmer, ugly center console. It has known leak issues and electrical issues. It has air suspension issues. Auto door locks and trunk flaws. Don't forget the untreated metal that rusts from the inside. Watch for rust around tire wells all up and down sides. Rust quote was $2700. The gorgeous slick design holds water. The car is now 11 so expect collapsed engine mounts, catalytic converter rattles, drive shaft flex disk...So you can plan on buying it for $6-7K and putting 6-8K into it and you will get a beautiful smooth powerful ride that originally cost $80K+ and the engine will go to 200K mi.

Balanced perspective
By mcantwell on 03/05/13 09:57 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2002 S430 in November of 2012. It was $11,000. I immediately had an issue with the air suspension which leaked and I had Peter, a local mechanic (SilverStar Motors) who specialized in Mercedes fix it. He is much more reasonable than the dealership but the repair was $1400. He warned me the car has a history of expensive issues. I replaced the tires with ContiPro fro $600. I did not have any additional issues until recently it was side-swiped on the street and the driver mirror was tore off. The parts alone are over $1000 and I'm looking at 1300-$1,500 with labor and paint. To pile on my check engine light came on and the car has a bit of a shake and rough idle. We will see.

VERY EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR
By DOMINIC on 06/07/09 08:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car new. Thought I would keep it for 10 yrs. Or 200,000 miles. It might last but the repair bills after 100,000 miles is way out of line. Had many problems with this car. Front end work, gear selector replaced, auto doors repaired, all items you would not expect to break, could not lock doors, many other items. I made the mistake in keeping this car too long. I have had many Mercedes this was the worst for repair. Do not think I will be buying another one.

Best in class Style Price.. except Value
By s4hire on 11/14/08 10:09 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great looking car especially with the AMG package. Great riding car in terms of comfort, performance and handling.

2002 S430 : So far so good!!
By GeminiOnie on 10/20/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2002 S430 with low miles and all the bells and whistles (still learning how to operate them). I love this car! It's definitely a beautiful car that gets a lot of attention, no matter how old it is! I am a previous Infiniti owner and I don't know why I didn't buy a S430 sooner! So far, I don't have any complaints on the performance. However, I will get a chance to test the limits once I take it on a long road trip. We'll see what happens!

Mercedes really messed up!
By berncurio21 on 06/26/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

All throughout my life, my family has only owned MB cars. I grew up around them so I know about their great ride, fantastic style and reliability. My first car was a C230 and I got an SLK after that. I traded in for a 2002 S500 sports package and it was the biggest mistake. four days after I drove it out the lot, the air suspension dropped so the car was sitting on its tires and had to be towed and the repair alone cost $1400. After that repair, the brakes had to be replaced for another $900, two weeks after, my HID headlamps went out which costs another 500 bucks. In addition, the alternator started to act up at 70k miles and costs $900 to replace. The biggest disappointment!

7 Years and no troubles
By Spoiled Rich Boy on 03/15/08 02:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I adore my Mercedes. Bought it late 2001 till now, 2008, 7 years and the biggest thing done to it are new tires, besides that, completely reliable! It was a S430V (apparently according to the salesman it's better in some ways) with some lovely upgrades (bi-xenon headlights & washers, Nappa leather, wood & leather steering wheel and shift gate). The transmission is still silky smooth, and the air suspension has not failed once. The engine is not the most powerful but still quite nippy. In general; reliable, comfortable, and I absolutely adore it. Merc's dealer network is very friendly and helpful (at least at my dealer), but they charge you for every single little thing!

Attitude of MB Corp.
By Autoboy on 02/26/07 05:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The overall quality of the MB 220 series has suffered from the lack of pride and attention to details that MB engineers had on previous marques. My experiences range from 4 leaking valves on the brand new car,off centered pulley, faulty command system, leaky air suspension, steering wheel that extends itself at some strange times. Most of the problems were fixed by the dealer and MB, however, they make you feel like that you're taking advantage of them. My god! I'm just trying to get problems that should not have been there in the first place.

Mercedes Critic
By Walter Haynie on 11/21/06 08:36 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 S500 for my wife as a Christmas present. She just loves the vehicle, apperance, handling, and quality of the vehicle. We compared other brands the were 4-5 years old and the quality just did not compare to like new look of the Mercedes quality. My wife constantly comments on how she loves driving "her" Mercedes. This is probably the best thing that I could have done for my wife, (and myself ha,ha) The Mercedes makes her feel better about herself and gives her confidence with the prestige of the Mercedes Benz name. We even purchased a Dog and named her Mercedes Ashley Haynie, what could be better? Loving life with Mercedes Benz and being a proud owner of the S500.

Poor Mrecedes
By E Collins on 09/01/06 20:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have had nothing but problems. Sure better not trust it on a trip. I have sat in a hotel room one week and looked at the wall while the car was in the shop. Navagation gave out on another trip . Plans were made for a trip this week but this time I never got out of town. All lights were on. I was in the service dept instead of leaving.This has been going on from the day I brought it home. Almost 2007 and only less than 35,000 miles. I am solving this problem.Talking to Lexus. Plans in the making for a 2007 LS 460 so I can travel again. I have driven nothing but a Mercedes and was a die hard lover of the car.