Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Super automobile
By billyq

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my car since 2003, it currently has 212,000 mile runs as new, everything works. Maintenance is a must- after warranty never never take to a MB dealer - find an independant shop that work on MB's. The car drives better than the new S550, just missing the technology of the newer car, but rides and handles much better. take care of the car and it will take care of you in comfort.

Favorite Features

voice command, handling, acceleration, and general comfort.

Suggested Improvements

the plastic trim around the front seats very cheap, also quality of paint (its water base)

No other car compares....
By adrockj

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

i purchased my 2001 s500 with 86K miles on it for $12K. i now have 188K miles and it still drives like new. i am still amazed that people still bring their cars to the dealership for repairs??!! ANY vw mechanic can work on your benz. it is not rocket science. i needed to have my water pump replaced and it cost me $500.00 out the door including parts and labor. other than that, i just bring it to jiffy lube for the fluids and oil changes. this car has cost less in repairs than any other car i have owned and gets about 20 mpg.

Beware of Dealers
By jgbecker

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 S500 with 8,000 miles back in 2004, and it presently has 110,000 miles on it. I have been generally happy with the vehicle. My worst experience in owning this vehicle is having to deal with Mercedes Benz Dealers/Dealerships/Service Departments. Once your Mercedes warranty runs out, the service departments at Mercedes dealers are forever trying to recommend unnecessary repairs to the vehicle. The dealers are constantly looking to fabricate repairs to bill to the extended warranty company. Most, if not all of these repairs are unnecessary. The Mercedes dealers make the ownership experience miserable. Stay away from them and you'll do fine.

Favorite Features

Airmatic Suspension is a dream. I get 22 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. Not bad for this type of a car.

Suggested Improvements

Affordable dealer service. Better customer service from Mercedes Benz for older vehicles. Front suspension system is forever needing attention.

S 500 not a lexus but a great car
By srosa

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my car with 50k on it. It now has 75k so I fell I know the car pretty good. I had to replace the air suspension($350) if you do it yourself. Also the radiator fan motor(bought fan onling) and a fuse for the left side of the car electronics(not happy about that). Also some rust at seams of the body. If you are unable to do some work yourself and dont like car repair bills by a lexus or bmw. This car is nice to ride in, very comfortable. A bmw is a nice car to drive. Great pick up for a big car. Timeless look.

Favorite Features

Rest button-allows the car to stay heated for 30 minutes after you shut car off. Nice on cold days. The car is reliable but requires a lot of maintence. I do feel it will last to 150-200k. Do not buy this car if you don't have a couple bucks to spend on repairs. If you want to look like a million bucks and drive a big safe car, this is it. But I still like the 7 series better.

Pay to Play
By S500

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The car has been amazing to drive over the past two years, I purchased it with 50,000 miles thinking I was getting a steal, but in the past year the radiator has cracked and my front right air suspension went out. Both were close to 2 grand in repairs. When it's running good its fantastic, but be careful past the 8 year mark

Favorite Features

engine power Raised suspension for snow

Suggested Improvements

More Trunk space Better Paint/Less Rust