2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Super automobile
By billyq on 09/07/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my car since 2003, it currently has 212,000 mile runs as new, everything works. Maintenance is a must- after warranty never never take to a MB dealer - find an independant shop that work on MB's. The car drives better than the new S550, just missing the technology of the newer car, but rides and handles much better. take care of the car and it will take care of you in comfort.

No other car compares....
By adrockj on 08/07/11 21:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

i purchased my 2001 s500 with 86K miles on it for $12K. i now have 188K miles and it still drives like new. i am still amazed that people still bring their cars to the dealership for repairs??!! ANY vw mechanic can work on your benz. it is not rocket science. i needed to have my water pump replaced and it cost me $500.00 out the door including parts and labor. other than that, i just bring it to jiffy lube for the fluids and oil changes. this car has cost less in repairs than any other car i have owned and gets about 20 mpg.

Beware of Dealers
By jgbecker on 02/09/11 14:49 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 S500 with 8,000 miles back in 2004, and it presently has 110,000 miles on it. I have been generally happy with the vehicle. My worst experience in owning this vehicle is having to deal with Mercedes Benz Dealers/Dealerships/Service Departments. Once your Mercedes warranty runs out, the service departments at Mercedes dealers are forever trying to recommend unnecessary repairs to the vehicle. The dealers are constantly looking to fabricate repairs to bill to the extended warranty company. Most, if not all of these repairs are unnecessary. The Mercedes dealers make the ownership experience miserable. Stay away from them and you'll do fine.

S 500 not a lexus but a great car
By srosa on 01/31/11 16:34 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my car with 50k on it. It now has 75k so I fell I know the car pretty good. I had to replace the air suspension($350) if you do it yourself. Also the radiator fan motor(bought fan onling) and a fuse for the left side of the car electronics(not happy about that). Also some rust at seams of the body. If you are unable to do some work yourself and dont like car repair bills by a lexus or bmw. This car is nice to ride in, very comfortable. A bmw is a nice car to drive. Great pick up for a big car. Timeless look.

Pay to Play
By S500 on 07/27/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The car has been amazing to drive over the past two years, I purchased it with 50,000 miles thinking I was getting a steal, but in the past year the radiator has cracked and my front right air suspension went out. Both were close to 2 grand in repairs. When it's running good its fantastic, but be careful past the 8 year mark

Don't buy Mercedes S500
By Abi Vahdatinia on 07/07/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I am sick and tired of having problems with my S500 all the times. I took my car to a Mercedes dealer for oil change and inspection, the estimated cost for repairs is over $11,000. $1,600 for a headlamp replacement, $1,600 for replacing spark plugs and wires, $2,400 for replacing a leaking ABS pump, and so on. The estimate does not include the broken moonroof and tire pressure system. I don't recommend this car to anyone.

Mercedes Benz S500 year 2001
By peter Ulrich on 03/02/10 17:20 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car in the new generation of electronics, after almost 10 years of driving still excellent.

Love this Car
By bmarlin475 on 10/13/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Have owned several BMW's, Jaguars and E class Mercedes and not one comes close to matching quality and the ride of this S500. Quick acceleration. Super quiet at highway speeds and comfortable on long trips. COMAND system is a bit of a pain...

Interiors disgusting !
By Paul on 10/10/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this car is a dream. It is so smooth and powerful. This cars styling will humble the best looking chicks. I have the AMG package which gives it that "look". At first I hated it coming from a Lexus LS430,but with time I understood. I've heard horror stories about this cars reliability however I haven't had a problem yet. I bought this car last July with 26000 miles. I hope God continues to bless it.Fuel is not bad for a 5.0 L. Navi should be higher and interior design looks pretty good except for the cheap materials.

2001 S500
By SWilliams on 02/09/09 15:43 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used in October of 08. So far, it has been expensive to maintain but it has been well worth it. This is truly an outstanding car. I've owned Porsche, Lexus, Audi, Infiniti and this is by far the best. The ride quality is superb and it doesn't compromise handling. The car is eerily quiet even at 90+ mph. The navigation system works well, but it only has major roads mapped in smaller towns or suburbs. I also really wish the CD player was in the dash. This car's size and countless safety features make you feel very secure. The command system takes some getting used to but isn't overly complicated. The interior is huge and very comfortable.