Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Wha-hawpen?
By Paul Jacob

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I currently own a 1983 380SL and a 2001 S430. I have owned a 280SE and a 380SEL. My S430 radio will not receive AM anymore; a $1200 estimate by Mercedes to fix. The fob does not unlock, nor will it lock the doors; a $2400 estimate from Mercedes dealer to fix. The trunk will not open, only by the key in the fob; $1200 estimate to fix. This S430 is fragile in many places, like the seat frames and center console ash trays (doors) plastic grill, and over 100 switches between the front door buttons. The AC controls are fickle, and the "check engine" light comes on for no good reason. This S430 will be my last Mercedes Benz. I feel as though I have been snookered. Quality is fleeting.

Speed, quiet, handling.

Better materials that are handled by fingers; simpler-intuitive controls; visibility...I.e. the reflection of the side AC vents in the side glass when attempting to see through the side rear-view mirror...(duller or flater colors would help, or perhaps etched glass). Mercedes last forever, or, they used to. Fewer warnings about simple things. I think we'll see next, a warning light to indicate that a warning light has gone out. Tooo many buttons. It takes tooo much time to select a station, or a volume level...time away from eyes on the road...UNSAFE...as Mercedes would put it. Get rid of CHEAP materials and flimsy door actuators on the ash trays. Yes, S430 owners like a big-gulp.

Super automobile
By billyq

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned my car since 2003, it currently has 212,000 mile runs as new, everything works. Maintenance is a must- after warranty never never take to a MB dealer - find an independant shop that work on MB's. The car drives better than the new S550, just missing the technology of the newer car, but rides and handles much better. take care of the car and it will take care of you in comfort.

voice command, handling, acceleration, and general comfort.

the plastic trim around the front seats very cheap, also quality of paint (its water base)

No other car compares....
By adrockj

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

i purchased my 2001 s500 with 86K miles on it for $12K. i now have 188K miles and it still drives like new. i am still amazed that people still bring their cars to the dealership for repairs??!! ANY vw mechanic can work on your benz. it is not rocket science. i needed to have my water pump replaced and it cost me $500.00 out the door including parts and labor. other than that, i just bring it to jiffy lube for the fluids and oil changes. this car has cost less in repairs than any other car i have owned and gets about 20 mpg.

Beware of Dealers
By jgbecker

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2001 S500 with 8,000 miles back in 2004, and it presently has 110,000 miles on it. I have been generally happy with the vehicle. My worst experience in owning this vehicle is having to deal with Mercedes Benz Dealers/Dealerships/Service Departments. Once your Mercedes warranty runs out, the service departments at Mercedes dealers are forever trying to recommend unnecessary repairs to the vehicle. The dealers are constantly looking to fabricate repairs to bill to the extended warranty company. Most, if not all of these repairs are unnecessary. The Mercedes dealers make the ownership experience miserable. Stay away from them and you'll do fine.

Airmatic Suspension is a dream. I get 22 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. Not bad for this type of a car.

Affordable dealer service. Better customer service from Mercedes Benz for older vehicles. Front suspension system is forever needing attention.

S 500 not a lexus but a great car
By srosa

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my car with 50k on it. It now has 75k so I fell I know the car pretty good. I had to replace the air suspension($350) if you do it yourself. Also the radiator fan motor(bought fan onling) and a fuse for the left side of the car electronics(not happy about that). Also some rust at seams of the body. If you are unable to do some work yourself and dont like car repair bills by a lexus or bmw. This car is nice to ride in, very comfortable. A bmw is a nice car to drive. Great pick up for a big car. Timeless look.

Rest button-allows the car to stay heated for 30 minutes after you shut car off. Nice on cold days. The car is reliable but requires a lot of maintence. I do feel it will last to 150-200k. Do not buy this car if you don't have a couple bucks to spend on repairs. If you want to look like a million bucks and drive a big safe car, this is it. But I still like the 7 series better.