Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Wha-hawpen?
By Paul Jacob

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I currently own a 1983 380SL and a 2001 S430. I have owned a 280SE and a 380SEL. My S430 radio will not receive AM anymore; a $1200 estimate by Mercedes to fix. The fob does not unlock, nor will it lock the doors; a $2400 estimate from Mercedes dealer to fix. The trunk will not open, only by the key in the fob; $1200 estimate to fix. This S430 is fragile in many places, like the seat frames and center console ash trays (doors) plastic grill, and over 100 switches between the front door buttons. The AC controls are fickle, and the "check engine" light comes on for no good reason. This S430 will be my last Mercedes Benz. I feel as though I have been snookered. Quality is fleeting.

Favorite Features

Speed, quiet, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better materials that are handled by fingers; simpler-intuitive controls; visibility...I.e. the reflection of the side AC vents in the side glass when attempting to see through the side rear-view mirror...(duller or flater colors would help, or perhaps etched glass). Mercedes last forever, or, they used to. Fewer warnings about simple things. I think we'll see next, a warning light to indicate that a warning light has gone out. Tooo many buttons. It takes tooo much time to select a station, or a volume level...time away from eyes on the road...UNSAFE...as Mercedes would put it. Get rid of CHEAP materials and flimsy door actuators on the ash trays. Yes, S430 owners like a big-gulp.

Electrical nightmare
By Muskmelon

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have mothballed this car after a little over a month of driving. Cooling fan motor bearings bad ($830 for the part!), bad starter solenoid, entire center row of buttons on the dash do not function, small rust spots on fender seams, flickering headlights, intermittent trouble light telling me I have a bad bulb in the rear that is not bad. Can't get parts except from dealer and then they need to be programmed to the vehicle. I want my 1996 Ford Taurus back but until spring I will drive my 175,000 mile Suburban which is reliable and can be repaired with parts that are cheap and readily available. Car ran great for 2 weeks!

Favorite Features

Fast and smooth at high speed. Large interior for big people.

Suggested Improvements

Body rust on a car this age and price is unacceptable. Nightmarish wiring schemes.

DON'T UNDER ESTIMATE THE S430
By mike cain

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

having had many large capacity german cars,the 2001 s430 i have owned for 6 months has to be the best,i usually travel from the top of the country to the west only stopping once,then walking from the car fresh. if i can recommend anything the s430 makes a little more sense as slightly better fuel and tax economy, do not give a lot away in 0-65 times and nothing in the limited top of 155 mph, economy wise i have personally had 32 mpg a steady average on my frequent m74,m6,m5 journeys. so to return that in this class of car should make you think twice as the price of a fmbsh car is cheaper than a second hand mondeao, any complaints about servicing,think about the car your driving!.

Favorite Features

keyless go,visual parking system,ergonomics at the drivers seat all round vision when driving

Suggested Improvements

the only improvement i can suggest is the quality of the plastics be improved,i.e the front seat bases and the rear vanity mirror/light housing, the plastic feels fragile.

falling apart S430
By Tim

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used and have put 70,000 miles on it in 3 years. I have replaced every moving part in the interior, the Airmatic suspension was great until it had to be replaced at 92,000 miles, the stereo went out at 101,000 miles, the front end suspension has been replaced once and due again. Beautiful at the curb, powerful drivetrain, poor reliability. Last time I buy a MB. Going back to Lexus. Drove an 1989, put zero into major repairs on it.

Favorite Features

style, smooth power

Suggested Improvements

too late for that, but, for a $77,000 sticker, it should have parts that hold up to highway driving! NAV system and lack of auxiliary inputs is sad.

Smooth & Reliable
By James Rice

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I traded A Rolls-Royce Silver Spur for this car, and it is better in every way with one exception: there are too many of them in Southern California! I am surprized to have an $82,000 anonymous car. That said, it's a fabulous car and totally smooth and reliable. It's a great long distance cruiser and eats up the freeway miles. I have been to the dealer once for an oil change. The customer service that comes from the dealer is as excellent as the car itself.

Favorite Features

Excellent mechanicals which gives good driving pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Being 6'1" tall, I have a little bit of trouble with the headroom in the driver's seat. If the seat could be lower, I would be more comfortable