2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Greatest of autos
By pete on 12/18/06 11:33 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

Great vechile. Had front shock and strut replaced. Faced some sticker shock but for ride, control, safety, that part being air and adjustable, it was reasonable. Room, comfort, driving enjoyment 2nd to none. 40 yrs of driving experience in the mountains of NC and all, and I mean all, types of other vechile experience, this is the best of experiences.

Wake up, Mercedes
By Paul on 09/25/06 14:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

This is my 7th Mercedes.The previous six were outstanding but this one is terrible. I had 3 Jaguars ('97, '00 and '03) after my 6th and I am going back. This car has 95,000 miles and in the last 2 years, radio broke-(chip-$500), air suspension-($800), lower control arms and bushings-($1,000), and right now, the AC, the passenger side window , the parking sensor mechanism, the seat memory, the seat messagers, the CD changer, the seat memories all don't work, and rust is developing at the bottom of all 4 doors and behind the rear license plate even though is is meticulously maintained. I now have 3 friends with the S series who have sworn off them and never coming back.

Mercedes Does Not Mean Quality
By Richard Bailey on 09/17/06 12:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 2000 S430 as a pre-owned. It had 56,000 miles on it, and the rack & pinion had to be replaced. It also has a high rear-end gear noise between 50 and 60MPH. The driver side sun visor no longer stays in place, and I had to tape it to the roof. There is rear vibration between 60 and 80MPH, though it has new Continental tires balanced by the Mercedes dealer. An A/C sensor failed at 57,000 miles, which caused the unit to freeze up. The CD player has started locking up, though it has been cleaned.

Business Car that has been reliable
By David Thompson on 11/30/05 09:41 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with only 43000 miles on it. Have driven it mostly for business trips on the road and have enjoyed the acceleration, the room for clients in the back seat, the smoooooth ride and the impression the car makes. Beautiful finish on exterior. Have only had to replace a set of brakes and two tires. But I DID purchase an extended warranty to be safe. I have really enjoyed driving this car!

I'm Happy
By Doc1 on 02/17/05 13:10 PM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

I've owned the following , LS400, (2) Q45's Qx4, 528e, Caddy's and Lincolns. This my 7th S class I'm very happy . it gets plenty of looks and so far in 8 months I put 15k miles on the car. Now I'm starting to see little expensive things like transmission seals, control arms, and when we very cold days like below 28 degrees the pump for the suspension stop working.luv the sound system, but it sways a little at high speeds. I've never driven any other car @ 130 mph. Gas mileage stinks in the city. Nevertheless I plan to buy another one when I can.

I won't buy another one
By wcw on 12/20/04 13:35 PM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500 has been a huge disappointment. In May 2000 I experienced many problems with it, at only 7,468 miles. Again on 8/26/2000 I experienced multitude of problems, at 11,114 miles. And again on 9/2001 at 19,492 miles. On 10/18/02 at 28,231 miles I had to pay $376 in addition to warranty covered items. On 3/03 I experienced more problems, including a defective "adc." In 2004 the electric seat became inoperative and left front door control module replaced to a tune of $980. On 11/13/04 I had to get a new air suspension pump for $500. This car's fuel gauge is still inoperative, I have not fixed it yet. I'll measure it with a stick rather than pay for a new one. This is my second and final Mercedes. It's hard to believe you can pay $90,000 for a car you only drive 8,000 miles/year and be faced with this lemon.

Mercedes S430
By R Blake on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

This the finest automobile I have ever owned. I am looking forward to the release of the 2006 late next year. My only problem with the car has been the electonics.I have had to replace the dash console twice. Another feature of the Mercedes is the dealer service. I have had the car serviced all over the eastern USA and each experience has been wonderful.

Sexy POS
By esntrk1 on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

If you don't want drama, do not buy this car!! It car is a maintenance nightmare. Do not buy it used without an exteneded warranty!! You are asking for financial ruin!! This car cost me nearly 10k in maintenace this year alone!! Read the many horror stories at www.mbworld.com. Then if you still must have the car, lease or buy it new and get rid of it before the warranty expires. People ask me all the time about my S500 and I tell them to buy the Lexus LS430. It will actually increase your quality of life by reducing your stress level and maintaining your net worth.

Mercedes
By persian man on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is one of a kind. I have never experienced such a maginificent car. I have owned BMW's and Jaguars, but Mercedes is in a league of its own. Mercedes is by far makes the best sedan under 150000 dollars.

Unfilled expections
By BDriver on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

Potentially great auto. Good power, great torque, great gas milliage. The reliability of the car is terrible. It has been towed five (5) times! Three times for total failure of the compressor required to support air-suppension system. Complete transmission failure at less than 70.000 miles. (replaced under starmart extended warrenty.) "Water" in electronics module totally dissabled. Other problems: glove box replaced, GPS/Navagations system inoperative. Front passenger window oftens fails to raise.