Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Buyer should know better...
By jbrtoo

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

When you bought an older S-class, you should have expected it to cost you $$$ in repairs. My 2000 S500 has cost me $12,000 in repairs since I bought it 4 years ago. Now that sounds like a lot, but when you spread it over the 4 years, it has cost me $250 per month to drive the sweetest production car on the road. When you throw in depreciation, it has cost me about $400 per month to drive it. Show me a comparable vehicle that you can drive for that cost--it's not out there. So although the S500 gives you heartache and wallet-ache at times, do the math and you'll realize it has been well worth it!

BEAUTIFUL DRAMA QUEEN
By mylexgs300

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in January of 2012 with 480k miles. Now, before you think I'm crazy, my reasoning was that after I test driving the car, it appeared to be mechanically sound in every way. The engine was as quiet as if it had 60k miles and the transmission shifted to perfection. Being a long time lover of Lexus, I can now appreciate the maintenance-free GS300. Since purchasing the car, I've replaced the water pump and the pulley, along with the brakes and rotors all around. So far my air suspension has been fine, although I suspect the ball joints will need replacing soon. Despite that, I'm very happy with the car. It's a joy to drive and gets a lot of attention.

Favorite Features

Powerful 5.0L V8 engine. Very smooth and agile for its size. The timeless look of this vehicle can fool most people as to it's actual age. Also, the many MB forums on the web are great and full of very helpful information that any MB could ever need.

Suggested Improvements

Putting air suspension into this vehicle was a horrible idea. Mercedes could also have done a better job with the electronics in this car. I didn't pay MSRP for this car, but I couldn't imagine buying this car brand new and dealing with the issues that I've read about so far.

This car was created as a joke from MB
By yelis

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

Its like a cardboard......falls apart probably as I wright this just standing in parking lot.....What broke: transmission at 100k, cooling fans, airmatic pump, gear box shifter, navigation system, tape player, 1 door locking mechanism, and thats after i bought the car used, I would imagine previous owner had nightmares too. One of my friends had 00 or 02 model and had to lease Honda Accord because this MB was simply NOT drivable due to constant breakdowns

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Quality Control

I love my MB
By waltercole

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 11 years and have never had the kind of problems others mention. The tires and brakes last as well as my Volvos have. Repairs are quite expensive but I go to a MB specialist who is honest and reliable for considerably less than MB dealers. I do drive intelligently and take prope care of the car. 120,000 miles so far and many more to go.

Nightmare
By DSMITH303

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4dr Sedan

Thought this was my dream car, but it has turned out to be a nightmare! I've had three air-compressed shocks go bad on me, each costs about $1,300 to fix, a ball joint, and a crankshaft sensor. Thank goodness I have a personal mechanic that does the work or I'd probably go bankrupt soon. what else? I have a leak in the back of the car, which makes rainy days scary and the CD player is on the blink. There is no doubt that this is a beautiful car, but it seems as if I am waiting for the next thing to go wrong! This is not what I thought owning a Mercedes would be like. This is definitely the first and last Benz I am going to own, so much for my dream car. Seriously, I hope it gets better.

Favorite Features

A great ride, especially on long rides. Very good looking car and has very good power.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car worth the money people pay for them. People want quality and substance in a car not just a pretty design, if that was the case I would buy a Dodge Challenger! Mercedes, please give people the quality in which they are paying for.